The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't waste your breath. Every single time people are told that the ridiculous comment is actually a legitimate off-flavor observation, they respond by assuring everyone that their beer was absolutely flawless. :eek:

Ohh, its most definitely flawless... Quite possibly the greatest beer in the whole world. Im seriously considering opening a brewery cause its that good, does anyone want to invest in me?

On a serious note, she does eat everything with lime juice on it so I suspected her taste buds could be off. Nevertheless I will continue to 'investigate'

Don't waste your breath. Every single time people are told that the ridiculous comment is actually a legitimate off-flavor observation, they respond by assuring everyone that their beer was absolutely flawless. :eek:

Brought a Scottish strong to a party this summer and someone mentioned bananas... I kinda snorted at it. Then, for the first time I tasted the banana and it became almost overpowering now that I knew it was there. Guess I fermented too warm after all...
My point being that the brewer sometimes misses their mistake until its pointed out by a third party.

Lessons learned from G. I. Joe. I am the man I am today because of those Saturday morning cartoons.

Boom boom bop, love to eat cereal when I'm watching my cartoons. (LYRICS NSFW) All about old Satuday morning cartoons. Murs is the man.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother last week: after tasting a belgian white, could you make a light beer? I think most people probably drink light beer now

Me: well I think most people are idiots, I'm assuming by light beer you mean like bud light? Dude I'm not making watered down horse, urine I drink beer for taste not to drink 15...

I wouldn't have been so rude about it to anyone else, but this was coming from my own brother who I thought I had taught better. We also just are very Blunt with each other all the time anyway haha we never sugar coated anything at our house growing up. Besides who drinks a Belgian white and need something "lighter??"

My brother last week: could you make a light beer? I think most people probably drink light beer now

Me: well I think most people are idiots, I'm assuming by light beer you mean like bud light? Dude I'm not making horse, urine I drink beer for taste not to drink 15...

I wouldn't have been so rude about it to anyone else, but this was coming from my own brother who I thought I had taught better. We also just are very Blunt with each other all the time anyway haha we never sugar coated anything at our house growing up

I actually made an American Light Ale for my wife last year. It was delicious! The biggest positive was that it showed her how bad the BMC's were in comparrison. From there her taste for beer has only grown.

Getzinator said:
I actually made an American Light Ale for my wife last year. It was delicious! The biggest positive was that it showed her how bad the BMC's were in comparrison. From there her taste for beer has only grown.

Ya know I'm not really against American light - the style, and that is actually a really good idea I should try on him. I just took this comment as him basically asking me to do a bud light clone since he never buys anything else. I always thought it was just because he was cheap.

I also didn't consider the fact that if I do an American light I won't be using all the crap that makes it so cheap, so yeah I guess it probably still has potential to taste pretty good

Like what, specifically? What makes them so cheap is incredible efficiency and scale. Pabst, Miller and Coors took gold, silver and bronze at GABF this year.

In real life, when I can feel an argument breaking out for no reason over a topic as not-argument-worthy as beer I am often tempted to cut a loud, noxious fart.

CreamyGoodness said:
In real life, when I can feel an argument breaking out for no reason over a topic as not-argument-worthy as beer I am often tempted to cut a loud, noxious fart.

Haha good luck convincing a forum full of beer lovers that beer isn't "argument worthy" but this particular topic you are probably right about. Thanks for calming me down. Haha

Y'know how from Halloween to Christmas day you hear Christmas carols on the radio everywhere you go? You know how annoying that gets after a while, hearing "Red Shoes" for the 900 time on December 1st?

THATS what the "BMC sucks" argument is like here at HBT.

Just dont drink it if you hate it.

CreamyGoodness said:
Y'know how from Halloween to Christmas day you hear Christmas carols on the radio everywhere you go? You know how annoying that gets after a while, hearing "Red Shoes" for the 900 time on December 1st?

THATS what the "BMC sucks" argument is like here at HBT.

Just dont drink it if you hate it.

Wasn't trying to start a BMC argument

The thread is dumb comments on your beer
My brother tasted a Belgian whites and wants me to make a bud light clone... I think that qualifies
And someone quickly jumped in their defense

Anyways getzinator had a nice constructive suggestion thanks

Easy fellas, we're all friends here.

newb, your comment definitely qualifies. Most of us here have gotten something similar at some point.

I was merely pointing out that rice & corn aren't "crap that makes them cheap" ...those adjuncts are distinctive to the style. Most homebrewed light lager recipes also include corn or rice.

I gave a non-beer drinker a sip of my first beer, an "Everyday IPA". "I don't like it, but I can tell it is good"

I don't know how that works. Ha!

TyTanium said:
Easy fellas, we're all friends here.

newb, your comment definitely qualifies. Most of us here have gotten something similar at some point.

I was merely pointing out that rice & corn aren't "crap that makes them cheap" ...those adjuncts are distinctive to the style. Most homebrewed light lager recipes also include corn or rice.

Alright cool, good to know. I guess it is just since the majority of American lights I have been exposed to, happen to be BMC and so I have had little interest in this style, purchasing or brewing and therefore very little research other than what gets posted on here like "oh yeah adjuncts and corn syrup equals bmc sucks" So I honestly didn't know those adjuncts are common even to the good ones so thanks. It's really mostly a matter of personal preference of mine anyway I mostly like Belgians, trappists, and RIS, occasionally dabble into wit if I'm feeling on the "light" side but even most of my wheat beers are dunkel so these aware the styles I have researched and know a lot about

If you can make an american light lager without any off flavours or other flaws, then you have reached "Brewer" status.

Try the centennial blonde ale recipe - it's quite popular, and quite good. A great tasting 4% beer. Nice and simple, and great for giving to friends who come over and want to try homebrew for the first time.

Seems there was some misunderstanding of what i was trying to say in this post. Deleted by me for the sake of a better more friendly forum.

I guess it's my fault we all got off topic.

To get us back on topic:
I was at the pool last summer with some home brew, and my great-aunt-in-law's boyfriend tried one of my home brews (Imperial Blonde Ale, slightly heavy for a hot summer day). He said "I dunno about this... you know what I really miss? Bud Ice. Shame I haven't had it in a long while"
Me- "Bud Ice? I didn't know AB made an 'Ice' version of Bud?"
Him- "Oh no, no, no. I would take a large glass of Ice and fill it with Budweiser. Really set the flavor off."

I about dropped my bottle. Guy must not actually like any beer at all.

To get us back on topic:
I was at the pool last summer with some home brew, and my great-aunt-in-law's boyfriend tried one of my home brews (Imperial Blonde Ale, slightly heavy for a hot summer day). He said "I dunno about this... you know what I really miss? Bud Ice. Shame I haven't had it in a long while"
Him- "Oh no, no, no. I would take a large glass of Ice and fill it with Budweiser. Really set the flavor off."

There is a mythical creature in my neighborhood who we call "the sipper" or "one-sip." He's about 60 years old I'd say, and comes into the bar you are in quietly. He asks, not unpolitely, for a miller lite, and a glass of ice. He pays, puts a dollar under the glass, and then pours the beer over the ice.

Here's the fun part. He takes one sip, and silently leaves. Since he has paid and tipped no one gives him any grief, but we all scratch our heads.

To get us back on topic:

AB did actually brew a Bud Ice years ago. It clocked in at a whopping 5.0% ABV. I only remember it because I loved the penguin commercials.

budicepenguintin.jpg

There is a mythical creature in my neighborhood who we call "the sipper" or "one-sip." He's about 60 years old I'd say, and comes into the bar you are in quietly. He asks, not unpolitely, for a miller lite, and a glass of ice. He pays, puts a dollar under the glass, and then pours the beer over the ice.

Here's the fun part. He takes one sip, and silently leaves. Since he has paid and tipped no one gives him any grief, but we all scratch our heads.

There was a Vietnam vet who use to do the same thing at a place here in Madison called The Buckeye. It's since closed but that guy was like clockwork; he would come in, say hello to everyone and everyone would hello back (NORM!), order his Miller Lite with a glass of ice, sip, OK SEE YOU EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD NIGHT.

I asked him about it once and he said it's from when he was overseas and got really tired of drinking warm beer.

AB did actually brew a Bud Ice years ago. It clocked in at a whopping 5.0% ABV. I only remember it because I loved the penguin commercials.

budicepenguintin.jpg

Now this makes me even more confused... I'm pretty young so I wouldn't know much about Bud Ice. But now you're telling me he made up a name for something, but in reality there was something else that actually existed?
Dear lord, my head! :confused:

What are you talking about? They still make bud ice my little sister drinks it and so does one of my buddies at work. My little sister always drinks them in 16 oz cans.

Your 'nam vet story reminds me of another one. I'd come home from work at this ranch house we had in the 80's on a hot day. Come outside with a cold one,look 2 doors up through the back yards. My neighbor up the way had a 6'r of Bud on the picnic table in the hot sun all day long. He'd come home a bit after me, guzzling this ho0t horse wizz. I finally had to ask WTF??! He said,in 'nam,they had their stuff,including beer strapped to the outside of the tank. He just got used to drinkin it that way. YErpgagwretch....

Like what, specifically? What makes them so cheap is incredible efficiency and scale. Pabst, Miller and Coors took gold, silver and bronze at GABF this year.

It must have been in the American Light category, because overall everyone was laughing at them. They had to bribe people to drink their beer at GABF this year with free shirts and hats and they literally wouldn't let you take one unless you drank a sample of PBR first. What a joke.

It's also not that impressive to me to say that they got a gold (did the best job of brewing that style) because those three companies literally invented the category. The style guidelines were written to specifically reflect the taste of those three breweries, so yeah, they probably should be the best.

NateLTB said:

Bud ice is still around. I don't know about other cities but its pretty heavily advertised on the outside of liquor stores in Baltimores "nicer" areas

Bud ice is still around. I don't know about other cities but its pretty heavily advertised on the outside of liquor stores in Baltimores "nicer" areas

There was also a Bud Dry, which I can't remember what it tastes like. Back in the day, I loved Bud Ice though.

It must have been in the American Light category, because overall everyone was laughing at them. They had to bribe people to drink their beer at GABF this year with free shirts and hats and they literally wouldn't let you take one unless you drank a sample of PBR first. What a joke.

It's also not that impressive to me to say that they got a gold (did the best job of brewing that style) because those three companies literally invented the category. The style guidelines were written to specifically reflect the taste of those three breweries, so yeah, they probably should be the best.

Pabst isn't a light beer, to my knowledge. But why do you want a shirt of theirs so bad if you find it so appalling to drink one of their beers anyway?

Well "American Lager" then.

I personally didn't want a shirt, but it was definitely amusing to watch people ask for a free shirt ad then hesitate when they were told they had to drink PBR first. Also, I personally don't mind PBR that much, but at GABF they were the last thing on my list of things to try.

I can understand that. PBR is nice for drinking games, if that's what you're into. And I would likely not choose any BMC or Pabst equivalent at a place with a ton of beers I've never had before. Though I do enjoy me some free merch.

I can not believe this is an actual conversation. Let's not pretend these products are on the same level as craft beer. They are the fast food of beer. Yes some of us will drink them, and even like them, but they are specifically made as economically as possible, with the goal of selling large quantities. The focus is on marketing, and the only reason they show up at competitions is to take advantage of more marketing opportunities. Yes it takes skills to brew at that scale and consistency, that doesn't make it a gourmet product. Some of you I feel just want to be pedantic because you like to rile up a reaction. We're all on the same team here. Please stop looking for a fight and lets get back to teasing our friends for not being beer geeks. Thanks.

One time this guy on a Home Brew forum told me he didn't want to start a fight by calling me pedantic, and implying that my observation was ridiculous. What irony. :fro:

There was a Vietnam vet who use to do the same thing at a place here in Madison called The Buckeye. It's since closed but that guy was like clockwork; he would come in, say hello to everyone and everyone would hello back (NORM!), order his Miller Lite with a glass of ice, sip, OK SEE YOU EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD NIGHT.

I asked him about it once and he said it's from when he was overseas and got really tired of drinking warm beer.

My mom hasn't been a drinker for years--we've had our share of alcoholism-related issues in the family, so our household was dry from the time I was about eight years old onwards. But she will usually try my homebrews when she comes out to visit. One time she was drinking a cream ale I had made especially for her visit and she said, "This is really good. It would be great on a hot summer day, in a glass with ice." Apparently that's the way they used to drink beer all the time when she was younger...oh well! I gotta love her, cause she's my mom, but that hurt a little bit.

Man, I guess this ice thing is a lot more popular than I ever knew about. Who would've thought.

Another thing that happens all the time: My one friend cannot for the life of him remember anything about beer. He likes belgians the best, but won't stop buying IPA's. Every single time he is surprised and says "I don't like the finish" when he really means "it's too hoppy for me". We just finished a case of Sierra Nevada Beer Camp, and he kept opening the Floral IPA. Inevitably he wouldn't like it.
When I explained it to him (again) that he doesn't like hoppy beers like IPA's, he just replied "Ah right, because I don't like vegetables."

Then he told me last night he just picked up a pack of Hop Devil. :tank:

Back