Keeping that Freezer dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHYB

Reaction score
The bucket of damprid isn't enough, to be fair though, I do tend to open the lid almost daily as I keep bottled beer as well.

Any experiences with those mini dehumidifiers I'm seeing out there?

Thanks

Excessive condensation is an indication of an air leak somewhere. Even a tiny pinhole leak can cause problems. The obvious place to check first would be the lid seal, but also check the joints on the collar if you have one installed. A shop vac can be used to remove accumulated condensation/spillage with little effort.

Excessive condensation is an indication of an air leak somewhere. Even a tiny pinhole leak can cause problems. The obvious place to check first would be the lid seal, but also check the joints on the collar if you have one installed. A shop vac can be used to remove accumulated condensation/spillage with little effort.

No collar on mine and the seal is good, I know a good part of the problem is me, as I'm digging into the thing, rummaging for bottles. If it's an expectation issue then I'm ok with that, just curious if something like a mini dehumidifier can keep up.

No collar on mine and the seal is good, I know a good part of the problem is me, as I'm digging into the thing, rummaging for bottles. If it's an expectation issue then I'm ok with that, just curious if something like a mini dehumidifier can keep up.

The micro-dehumidifiers probably won't keep up if you have a lot of condensation which it sounds like you do. It's expected during high humidity seasons and especially so if you are opening it up a lot. I usually just ignore any accumulation until it gets to be 1/4" deep or so then I vac it out. That is usually about every month or so, but often I will spill some beer and that prompts me to do a cleanup prematurely. I also installed some of that interlocking rubber grid type tile on the floor of the freezer so the kegs are not sitting in a puddle. I've also used an "Absorber" synthetic chamois thing used for drying off autos etc. I spread a couple of those out on the floor of the freezer and they really soak up a lot of water. You can then easily wring them out occasionally. You can get them at Autozone or most other auto parts places for about $10 or so. They last forever. I tried the Damp Rid stuff and was not impressed.

good thread...

my keezer is showing some water in the bottom despite the Eva-Dry.

I'm sure it's a combo of me being to lazy to adequately seal the A419 and fan cords, and opening the lid lots...

I should try some damp rid.

I've had good luck with a renewable granular silica that I got from a gun supply shop. You can buy it by the pound, and they're blue beads that turn pink once they've absorbed their fill of humidity. You can recharge them by drying out in the oven (300 for 2-3 hours)

Put your bottle in your normal fridge and keep the keezer door shut!

I keep cellaring beer in the keezer and kegs. And have no condensation.

I use this guy, seems to do the job fairly well in my keezer. Check for air leaks around the seal as well.

Eva-dry EDV-E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0XFD2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I just bought one of these for my current keezer build off ebay for $19.99 shipped. The tradeoff is that it is "camo" but it will be inside the freezer so I don't care...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eva-Dry-EDV500-High-Capacity-Dehumidifier-Realtree-/350453073063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5198a184a7#ht_1978wt_844

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted pass along an update.

I sealed up all the seams inside the freezer using an exterior grade silicon caulking. I'm using both Damprid and a mini dehumidifier inside my (9 cubic foot) freezer and am now happy with the results.

Back