how long after planting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
How long does it take after planting rhizomes till I should see bines above ground?

9 days and nothing for me yet.

Temp probably averaged 65 F.

Planted about 4 inch deep.

Well watered.

I think 4 inches is too much. I planted some rhizomes last fall that I harvested from a wild field of neo. They came up in January and then I accidentally tried to kill them. They just sprouted again... We will see if they make it!!

Id dig those back up. And plant 1"Max. You can almost just set them on top of the soil and they will do their thing with a little water! 4" You may never see them depending on soil!

Id dig those back up. And plant 1"Max. You can almost just set them on top of the soil and they will do their thing with a little water! 4" You may never see them depending on soil!

14 days and no sign of them yet. They are 2 different types, one in the ground, the other in a pot. Temp is getting colder. They are hinting at possible frost on Friday.

Don't want to disturb them now. Could damage any roots and/or shoots.

I planted 60 last Friday, some big rhizomes I planted vertically with shoots pointing up, the tops about an inch or 2 below surface, other small ones I planted horizontally, again shoots up, about 2-3" below surface. Monday I had shoots popping up, about 5% of them, yesterday I had about 15 shoots showing. Nuggets had 50% up in 3 days!! I just watered lightly every day, maybe a cup or so per plant.

Keep us posted.

Calder, I'm in Akron & I am just seeing the tips of shoots from my well-established plant. Might take a couple weeks. You probably won't get much yield the first year. THe important thing is to keep the soil from drying out too much, especially typically in August, when it's hot & we tend to get dry spells. After the second year it will grow like a weed.

Calder, any updates on your rhizomes? I find myself in the same boat after my nice fluffy soil collapsed under the rhizomes. Now they are 4-6" below grade, but still only 2-3" of soil on top.

Calder, any updates on your rhizomes? I find myself in the same boat after my nice fluffy soil collapsed under the rhizomes. Now they are 4-6" below grade, but still only 2-3" of soil on top.

I was just outside looking at them.

Day 20:

- The one in the pot (Chinook) has something that is just breaking through the surface. I assume it is the hop plant. I'll know for sure in a couple of days. You really have to look to see it right now it is that small.

- The one planted in the ground (Centennial) is showing nothing on the surface. I did move some of the soil on the surface to see if there was anything there. There is something about an inch down, which I think is the hop plant. I didn't want to disturb it too much, so didn't look too closely; these new shoots are very fragile.

It was unusually cold here last week, so that probably slowed everything down. We had a late season frost on Thursday night. Still only getting up to 60 F today.

I was just outside looking at them.

Day 20:

- The one in the pot (Chinook) has something that is just breaking through the surface. I assume it is the hop plant. I'll know for sure in a couple of days. You really have to look to see it right now it is that small.

- The one planted in the ground (Centennial) is showing nothing on the surface. I did move some of the soil on the surface to see if there was anything there. There is something about an inch down, which I think is the hop plant. I didn't want to disturb it too much, so didn't look too closely; these new shoots are very fragile.

It was unusually cold here last week, so that probably slowed everything down. We had a late season frost on Thursday night. Still only getting up to 60 F today.

You are good if it looks like a tip of a spear. 2" usually good.

I'm in the same boat as you. Been 2 weeks now and 2 rhizomes out of 6 haven't sprouted. Giving it time though, as it has been a cold end of the month here in Baltimore. The farmer's almanac called it correctly...

They are up!!!!

21 days, and both are up.

The one in the pot (Chinook) is up about 1/8 th inch.

The one in the ground (Centennial) sprouted 2 shoots this past 24 hours. One is about 1/4 inch, the other is about an inch.

It is still cold. Got down to 36 F overnight, and was only 60 F today. I suspect the ground held the heat better than the pot, which is why it came up more today.

That's good news! Glad they finally popped.

Here is my update, in case anyone is wondering about various varieties. I planted 2 weeks ago today, and as of last night we have the following.

Nugget 6 for 6 up and growing. They were the first, 3/6 in 4 days, the last one just yesterday.
Sterling 6 for 6 finally, a few were real slow.
Willamette 5 / 6
Golding 4 / 6
Chinook 5 / 6
Cascade 5 / 6
Centennial 9 / 12
Mt. Hood 6 for 6

At least 1 of each variety seemed to emerge after a week, then the stragglers slowly popped. Some are still only little pale spears poking out but at least they are alive and trying. Been cooler here this past week, only average 16C and 5 nights. Supposed to be warmer now for a week or so, around 20 daytime highs. Hopefully all will sprout leaves shortly.

Cheers

4" isn't too much. They'll grow. I put my first years in the ground in January and they sprouted in a few months because we had a lot of 30F nights. Just water them 2-3 times a week lightly and you'll be good.

That's good news! Glad they finally popped.

Here is my update, in case anyone is wondering about various varieties. I planted 2 weeks ago today, and as of last night we have the following.

Nugget 6 for 6 up and growing. They were the first, 3/6 in 4 days, the last one just yesterday.
Sterling 6 for 6 finally, a few were real slow.
Willamette 5 / 6
Golding 4 / 6
Chinook 5 / 6
Cascade 5 / 6
Centennial 9 / 12
Mt. Hood 6 for 6

At least 1 of each variety seemed to emerge after a week, then the stragglers slowly popped. Some are still only little pale spears poking out but at least they are alive and trying. Been cooler here this past week, only average 16C and 5 nights. Supposed to be warmer now for a week or so, around 20 daytime highs. Hopefully all will sprout leaves shortly.

Cheers

Good success numbers!

Good success numbers!

Well, just after 2 weeks....today we have life showing in all plants. Some are just little tiny pale shoots, only just 1/4" out of the ground, but they are not dead. Hopefully this week they will all sprout leaves. I have watered just lightly every day, maybe a 1 cup per plant, just to keep the surface moist. It's been 15-20 here for the last few days, although last night we had -2. Yikes :drunk:

Anyway, just thought I'd update you on our progress here.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back