My Hop Trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian, it looks like your set-up might make it impractical to lower the bines based on how the lines are strung and, even if you set it up next year so each one could be lowered, they might be tangled on top to the point that they won't lower anyhow. So the ladder or cut-down option may be the best for your case.

The lines are just looped around the steel poles once or twice, so if (big if) the varieties don't get too tangled up, I should be able to pull the lines off of the poles. We'll see. Thanks for all the advice!

Here's a few pictures of the trellis 4 months after planting the hops.
Cascades have grown the best and I'll actually be able to get a small harvest. Hallertau has been eaten alive by Japanese Beetles and Willamette has some damage too. I had to replace the Centennial with Nugget because the Centennial never sprouted. The Nugget is coming along nicely but was planted a month or so later than the rest. It looks like I'll be able to remove the twine and harvest from ground level some time in the next few weeks.

P1020264.jpg

P1020265.jpg

P1020261.jpg

P1020257.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the trellis 4 months after planting the hops.
Cascades have grown the best and I'll actually be able to get a small harvest. Hallertau has been eaten alive by Japanese Beetles and Willamette has some damage too. I had to replace the Centennial with Nugget because the Centennial never sprouted. The Nugget is coming along nicely but was planted a month or so later than the rest. It looks like I'll be able to remove the twine and harvest from ground level some time in the next few weeks.

Beautiful closeups! Enjoy.

Late to the party - do you have any updates, 2 years on?!

No picture updates, but the trellis has been good. It's very sturdy, no concerns there. The only thing I'd change is adding a few more feet of height to it, as the hops get pretty tangled up at the top.

Going to cut down a few cedars in the back yard this weekend. Gotta be a good 30-40 feet. Do you think if I cut them down to 20 feet that will be enough to avoid a tangled mess late in the growing season?

Going to cut down a few cedars in the back yard this weekend. Gotta be a good 30-40 feet. Do you think if I cut them down to 20 feet that will be enough to avoid a tangled mess late in the growing season?

Yep, but I'd say the bigger the better.

Back