water quality report help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barside laundry

Reaction score
Would anyone be willing to point me in the right direction as far as water quality? If there is a good website out there that would be great. Even better would be to check my water at the link below and tell me what I should add :) Click on the link below and look at the Conestoga Plant Results.

Thanks

http://www.cityoflancasterpa.com/lancastercity/cwp/view.asp?A=954&Q=569334

At a glance, it looks like a good start for many beer styles. www.howtobrew.com has a chart (nomograph) you can use to see what styles would be best based on your water profile.

Oh, and welcome from fellow Lancaster Countian! I grew up there!

Dude. That's some scary ****. Cadium, Arsenic, Beryllium, Cadium, Cyanide. Does your beer glow green?

J/K.

I would suggest in a good carbon filter though. Important things to keep in mind with water is total alkalinity and hardness. TA acts a buffer to pH (the lower the TA, the faster your pH will change, sometimes unpredictably). Hardness is related and will effect your hop utilization and perceived bitterness. What your water report says about these, I have no idea. I'm just spitting out useless info that's in my head.

There's a few important data points I didn't see in your water report, magnesium and carbonates. Those, along with calcium really determine your residual alkalinity. There may be a way to infer those from the report, but I'm not water-smart enough to do it.

First - be gratefull you get such a complete analysis. Mine has about 6 prarmeters none of which are helpfull for brewing.

Second your usual water filter is activated charcoal. It will not remove ions from water as they are much too small.

I think you can calculate your magnesium from the information given and infer the bicarbonates from alkalinity but I'm not an expert by any means. Read John Palmers chapter and use his calculations.

Back