GF brown ale and IBA first attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewRW

Reaction score
So I have been brewing extract and partial mash beers for about 2yrs now and I have recently been told by my doctor that I have a Gluten Intolerance. Much to my dismay I have given up gluten all together. This is my first attempt at brewing a gluten free brew. Both versions are currently fermenting. Let me know what you think! Also can anyone fill me in on the use of amylase, I'm not sure I know when or when not to use is.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: S-33
Yeast Starter: N/A
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: N/A
Batch Size (Gallons): 3
Original Gravity: 1.081
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 29
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 70
Additional Fermentation: N/A
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 70.

BROWN ALE
0.5 lbs dark roasted buckwheat
0.5 lbs Roasted millet
0.25lbs roasted gluten free oats
0.75 lb dark belgian candi sugar
1.75lbs Sorghum extract
0.5lbs Brown sugar
0.75lbs Molasses
2 lbs Brown Rice Syrup
0.25 lbs Malto Dextrin
1 oz Fuggles @60 min (5%AA)
.5 oz Goldings (kent) @ 20 min (5%AA)
4oz cocoa powder @ 15 min
S-33 Yeast

IBA
Same as above but change hop schedule to
1 oz Warrior @60 min (16%AA)
.5 oz Super Alpha @ 45 min (15%AA)
.5 oz Cascade @ 30mins (6% AA)
.5 oz Cascade @ 15mins (6% AA)
1.5oz amarillo @10mins (8% AA)
.5oz goldings (kent) @5mins (5% AA)
.5 oz Super Alpha @ dry hop 14days (15%AA)
.5oz amarillo @ dry hop 14days (8% AA)

OG was the same for both 1.081 Bottling on the 21st.
PRECIATE THE ADVICE IN ADVANCE

I'd say too many simple sugars for the brown (low body) and I would never use so much molasses in a beer (again). The IBP will probably be better for the same reason, the simple sugars will dry out the sorghum.

As always, post your impressions once they are done.

Ok so when I first tried the brown ale it was way too sweet and the head retention was awful. Now after about 3 and 1/2 weeks of being bottle conditioned its fantastic. The head retention is still not quite what I wanted but the flavor is spot on for a brown ale. I think I may tweak the sugars next time and use more brown rice syrup instead of the simple sugars but overall a great brew for my first go at it. As for the Hopped up version I think it still needs more time. I used the same hop addition schedule that I used in my non gluten free black IPA but the bitterness in this beer is so overpowering. I am going to let it sit for a while and see how it turns out.

Back