Finished first batch-have questions to improve batch #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckdog05

Reaction score
Hello!

I just finished my first batch of cider and tried it last night. I used this very simple recipe that I found online with apple juice from CVS, and the cider actually tastes good and seems more alcoholic than I expected.

I am very excited that my first batch worked, but have some questions on ways that I can improve my second batch.

First off, there is some kind of sediment on the bottom of the bottles of cider that I would like to try and eliminate in my next batch. I suspect that this sediment is yeast and it is due to the fact that I didn't do any "racking" before bottling, but could someone please confirm this?

Also, does "racking" just consist of siphoning the cider to another bucket right before bottling and leaving sediment on the bottom of the brewing vessel?

Next, from reading other posts on this forum it seems like most people add sugar and/or honey before they close their brewing vessel, but I didn't do this and the cider is both sweet and potent. I figure that if I add sugar, I might make the cider more alcoholic, which it doesn't need to be, but maybe I should stop fermentation before it is complete?

The sweetness is due to the fact that after fermenting the cider for about a month, we added frozen concentrate before bottling, but as I understand it we will always have to add sugar in some form to the cider before bottling if we want the cider to carbonate.

Thank you very much for your help! My main goal for batch #2 is improved taste and, if possible from store-bought ingredients and not too difficult, a taste similar to Strongbow or Magners.

Most people rack/transfer a number of times for clarity and cleaner taste.

It can be a crapshoot to force fermentation to come to an abrupt halt just to moderate sweetness. Most people will let fermentation run it's course, transfer onto campden tablets (or another metabisulfate) to kill the yeast, and adjust from there.

If the yeast eat too many sugars, and the finished product is too dry/strong...sugar and/or distilled water can be added to adjust to taste/abv.

Thank you!

Should you rack and then close the bucket back up to continue fermentation or is racking something you do right before botteling?

It seems like if I bottled using my racking cane instead of transferring to another bucket that I would achieve the same effect as transferring to another bucket and then bottling, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Most people rack/transfer a number of times for clarity and cleaner taste.

It can be a crapshoot to force fermentation to come to an abrupt halt just to moderate sweetness. Most people will let fermentation run it's course, transfer onto campden tablets (or another metabisulfate) to kill the yeast, and adjust from there.

If the yeast eat too many sugars, and the finished product is too dry/strong...sugar and/or distilled water can be added to adjust to taste/abv.

Also, could using campden tablets improve the final taste of my cider?

My routine is:
1. Sulphite at 30 ppm (based on fruit quality) let cider ferment for 3-4 weeks (or until airlock significantly slows). Most of the sediment will be out by then.
2. rack and top off with juice ferment out dry and let sit for 3-4 months (up to 6 months)
3. Bottle

I do use a keg to carbonate and sorbate if I backsweeten.

Oxygen is your enemy with cider, try to limit your racking to 1-3 key points in time.

IMO

Latest posts

Back