Seacoast, NH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermicous

Reaction score
Just in case somehow any of you end up in SE New Hampshire, I thought I would list some of my favorite pissers.

The Portsmouth Brewery
Portsmouth, NH

There are three sister breweries, Smuttynose is the micro-brewery and The Portsmouth Brewery is one of the sister brewpubs. Many of the recipes are shared, but the brewpub always has one or two specialties on tap. A month ago it was a very tasty wheat wine, this month it's JT's Braggot.

The Barley Pub
Dover, NH

A rarity in this area, this is a straight-up bar. Liquor licences seem to be rather draconian in this area, so most places are a food/beverage combo to get the lower rate. There is no liquor here, just beer and some wine. The selection is always good; Smuttynose, Rogue, and Moat seem to be most common. There are also a large selection of bottles, belgians and whatnot, but you have to ask for em.

The Press Room
Portsmouth, NH

Heavy oak beams, lots of smoke, cramped tables. This place reminds me the most of traditional english/irish pubs. The beer and liquor selection is good, not great. But this place is perfect to relax, it's also one of the few places I have not seen a fight.

The Coat of Arms
Portsmouth, NH

Good food and one of the best scotch selections in town. In spite of frequent visitors from the nearby university, this remains an unadulterated townie bar. Rarely any trouble inside, but the Portsmouth landmark Gillies' is across the street and usually features someone getting beat.

Back