FG 1.021: Safe to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phasedweasel

Reaction score
I have a batch of Special Bitter that I made from extract. I used 3 lbs of LME Amber and 3 lbs of LME Extra Pale, along with maybe 1.5 lbs of specialty cara malts. It was fermented with Safbrew 33 dry yeast, which took off like crazy in the first day and then basically slowed down to nothing. At 5 days of fermentation the SG was down from 1.050 to 1.022. At 10 days (last night) it was 1.021. Can I bottle it this weekend, or do I risk bottle bombs? Thanks!

I would swirl the yeast back into suspension and warm it up, that's not very good attenuation. You probably arent going to have bottle bombs, but you are going to have some sweet bitter. I have not had good luck with S-33.

With extract, and 1.5 pounds of cara malts, that might be the best you get. I wouldn't bottle yet, to be 100% safe, though. You may not get any lower, but it would be worth waiting three full weeks before bottling, "just in case"!

You probably hit your final gravity, but to be sure check it tomorrow to see if it drops any more. if it hasn't it is probably safe to bottle. Your hydrometer is your best friend!

Back