candi syrup all out of stock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you really, really actually have some? Some other unnamed vendors claim to until you place an order... :(

Why bother buying it when you can make your own?

Basically, candi sugar is ordinary white cane/beet sugar (sucrose) that has been modified by an 'inversion' process, producing 'invert sugar

There's really nothing special about "belgian sugar" it's not really a special sugar. The Belgian Monks just used whatever sugar they could buy in bulk the cheapest, and then they inverted it, and carmalized it. It differed from brewery to brewery and often within the same brewery batch to batch....It's not "magic sugar grown in the wild mountains of Belgium" or anything...It's just bulk sugar inverted and boiled to whatever color you desire....

If you can't get citric acid which the recipe I linked calls for, you can use, cream of tartar, a little lemon juice, even a crushed up vitamin c tablet...but many argue that really, the boiling process inverts it as it is...

And make sure you use Beet rather that Cane sugar.....

There's different "recipes" for it here;

Making Belgian Candi Sugar/Syrup

I had a Belgian strong dark ale (1.090_ that had three candi syrup additions...two in primary...I just made my syrup fresh each day.

I was told by a guy who specializes in doing Belgians that Beet sugar is more likely what the Belgians got, since sugar beets are grown in Belgium and most of europe whereas cane sugar isn't...it prolly wouldn't matter, in terms of chemistry, but I figure in terms of authenticity it would be better to make it with beet sugar.

Besides I live in Michigan, the home of Pioneer/Bug Chief Sugar, processed just up the road in Croswell....so I buy local.

Why buy anything at a homebrew store? J/K

It appears that the person who makes the candi syrup can't or won't make 16 oz containers anymore. He just tells you they are coming but never sends them.

He has moved on to satisfy the breweries instead. Doesn't have enough product or time to waste on 16 containers.

We found it at Brewers Supply Group in 5 gallon containers. We package it into 16 oz. containers for the homebrewers.

Yes we have it in stock.

Forrest

Yeah, I've seen and read how to make it. I suck worse in the kitchen than I do brewing beer ;) I may give it a go, but would like some "real" stuff as backup. Trying a super simple belgian dark strong recipe - candi sugar, rock sugar, pils malt, and hops with a 2+hour boil, so I'd rather not screw it up with my feeble candy skills.

Thanks for the info Forrest, I was wondering what seemed to happen to all the HBS all at once. Of course, if I order some candi syrup, I might as well order other stuff as well ;)

Why buy anything at a homebrew store? J/K

It appears that the person who makes the candi syrup can't or won't make 16 oz containers anymore. He just tells you they are coming but never sends them.

He has moved on to satisfy the breweries instead. Doesn't have enough product or time to waste on 16 containers.

We found it at Brewers Supply Group in 5 gallon containers. We package it into 16 oz. containers for the homebrewers.

Yes we have it in stock.

Forrest
Good to know. Thanks Forrest.

Back