Maryland Brew Day - Aug 18 2007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So 98EXL came up to brew at BeyerDyke brewery (my house), so we documented the occasion with pictures, and celebrated with a brew swap. We sampled, and we sampled, and we sampled some more! Mind you, my pics were taken using my blackberry camera, so some pictures turn out a little wierd. Hopefully Garrett has some better ones taken with a real camera.

IMG00021.jpg

98EXL watching the mash. Not a flattering picture of his haircut.

IMG00024.jpg

The 24" pizza we ordered for the boil. My roommate's arm shown at the top for some reference. That pizza was ungodly huge, and the first time I've EVER spent $32.50 on a single pizza.

IMG00027.jpg

I pic of our Irish Red.

IMG00030.jpg

98EXL tossing hops.

IMG00033.jpg

My roommate Mike and Garrett with our cooling rig.

IMG00034.jpg

Ghetto ass hopback.

IMG00037.jpg

Our wort sample. Reading it at 1.047 after temp adjustment, just .001 under style guide (and about .008 under target)

IMG00039.jpg

Watching the action!

IMG00040.jpg

Ghetto hopback in action. Aerates the wort nicely!

IMG00041.jpg

Our brew, before the ice bath, towel, and fan to try to keep the Steam brew down below 65F.

That was brew day! A fun day had by all, and I can't wait to see the brew at the end.

What does your ghetto ass hopback consist of. It would fit in with all the rest of my equipment.

Is it a dirty sock?:cross:

That's how you get the wild yeast!

Seriously though, what are you using?

That was a hop bag stuffed down into the neck of the carboy. Normally I just use a strainer on my bucket, but when filling carboys, I need something to catch the sludge. So we call it the ghetto ass hopback. :)

teh ghetto ass hop back did work very nicely

IMG00039.jpg

thanks for telling me to suck in my gut!

Ha! I've got a very unflattering picture of Mike's stomach (aside from the pic above) that I didn't post. Maybe when I get back I will post that. We need a buddha look-alike contest on here!

I really think I have an infection. Went and checked just now during lunch, and there is this really dark brown area of bubbles in the krausen. I really don't think it looks good, I have yet to see anything like this

Latest posts

Back