Can I dry hop this thing yet?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
I've had an Imperial India Pale Ale in the fermenter for 12 days now. I still have to dry hop for 10 days before bottling. It will be in the bottles for 2 months. If I dry hop tonight, I'll have 22 days on it. I've been fairly patient here, considering the instructions on this kit said to dry hop after 5-7 days. Due to the fact that I will have this thing in bottles for 2 more months, do you think I'll be ok with dry hopping tonight? The main reason I went past the 5-7 day recommendation was because the first 24 hours, my temp was at 78-80 degrees in my primary. I'm somewhat in a rush because I want to start another batch, so I'd like to free up my primary ASAP. My primary is a 6.5 gallon carboy & I do have a 5 gallon carboy available if I wanted to rack it to a secondary, but I'd rather not. Oh well, I'm rambling...so should I go ahead & dry hop tonight or give it more than 22 days before I bottle?

Do you have a hydrometer to take a sample to see what the gravity is? This is the only way you can tell if fermentation is complete

Dry hop it... I would have after 4 days, let it sit for a week, bottle condition for 3 weeks, drink. The hopper the beer, the less you want to age it.

Latest posts

Back