Old Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
I received four kegs from Northern Brewer over the weekend. Two of them were ok, but the other two seemed to be ancient. In fact, I'm pretty sure they are the first two kegs ever made.

I'm new to kegging but there were a couple things about these two kegs that don't seem right. One of them has a plastic gas in tube with a warped top. It looks like the poppet feet created indentations in the top of the tube. The other keg has hard white plastic washer-type things under the poppet. They rest between the poppet and the dip tube.

Is there anything I need to be concered about? I think the kegs were Firestone, if that makes any difference.

Also, I don't have a CO2 tank or regulator yet so I can't check to see if they hold pressure.

I'd change the gaskets and see what happens w/ the pressure when you get your tank. If you find that plastic one is a problem you can always return, or pick up a cheap metal gas in tube. IDk if I would want to start replacing the terminals. That may get a little pricey for what you can replace the keg for.

Really, as long as the keg is cleaned/cleanable, holds gas, and has functional terminals... I would care less if it was the first keg ever made.

All of my kegs have the plastic gas in. I'd say don't worry 'bout that.
Break the kegs down (make sure to remember which post goes with which side of the keg), give them a good scrubbing inside and out with dish soap, replace and lube all o-rings. Poppets only need replaced if they leak, but be sure to take the poppets out of the posts and inspect the rubber on them. You can go ahead and replace all of them right off the bat however they are $2.50 each and you need 2 per keg.

really... the gas in is only there to hold a gasket. As long as you dont overtighten the terminal you should be fine with plastic.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll clean them and replace gaskets and then see if they hold pressure.

My other problem is that I can't seem to get some of the poppets to come out. Is there and easy way to do this? I've tried pressing down on them, but I don't want to press too hard.

Any blunt tipped object will work. Take the terminal off, place it on your counter, and press down until it pops out. Try leaving the terminal to soak in hot water for 15 minutes to soak it up... or you can alternatively put the thing in the freezer to shrink the metal down.

Back