The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of glad I’m working this afternoon. Can’t play in the most dangerous drinking game in North America.

What game is that you ask?

NHL All Star Chug-a-goal.

Every time the puck goes in the net you chug.

You’re highly unlikely to be around at the end of the game.

Kind of glad I’m working this afternoon. Can’t play in the most dangerous drinking game in North America.

What game is that you ask?

NHL All Star Chug-a-goal.

Every time the puck goes in the net you chug.

You’re highly unlikely to be around at the end of the game.
It's funny because other cities care about watching the ProBowl.

So I'm watching a story on WFXT regarding a new micro called Walden Woods Brewing starting up in Marlboro.
Not only did they somehow get the Council to yack up a license, they gave them a $25K grant!
Meanwhile our friends over at Strange Brew have been struggling to get traction on their microbrewery intentions, purportedly because the same Council was busting their balls.

Weird. But another local micro to visit! :ban:

Cheers!

I've been following them for a while. They were suppose to open at the end of last year. Did they give a date? I also hear another brewery is going to open in Maynard. My friend who runs a store is expecting it to be pretty good.

Calling it a flat out grant like that isn’t really the whole story.

It was a grant... but it was for rent and equip reimbursement through their economic development corp that provides incentives for new businesses in the town.

Most towns and cities have something like that. Brian’s business, unfortunately, is already up and running so they don’t care about it. Usually a Econ Dev group is solely focused on attracting new businesses to the town and getting them up and running.

Most towns also do it through waving property taxes for a number of years.

http://marlboroughedc.com/2017/07/brewery-taproom-open-downtown-marlborough/

MassDev supposedly helped Treehouse make the decision of expansion easier.

www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2016/09/29/tree-house-brewing-nets-7-7m-in-state-funds-for.amp.html

Mass Dev is a totally different animal... they are a quasi-state agency that finances projects through low-interest loans that they are able to tie into municipal debt instruments.

Mass Dev has worked with about 20 breweries in the state and we’re in discussions with them now.

The headline is bullshti because it makes it sound like the state simply gave Treehouse $7.7mm. That’s not what happened. Treehouse took out a $7.7mm loan through the state business development agency.

Big difference.

Last edited:
It's a misleading title. If you're getting a better interest rate or terms technically you're getting money. Maybe not $7.7m but the state is encouraging your growth and assuming it will get more in tax growth.

I'm surprised you weren't immediately rejected by the appearance of a recurring jolly visitor from Randolph on insurance claims.

It's a misleading title. If you're getting a better interest rate or terms technically you're getting money. Maybe not $7.7m but the state is encouraging your growth and assuming it will get more in tax growth.

I'm surprised you weren't immediately rejected by the appearance of a recurring jolly visitor from Randolph on insurance claims.

It’s mostly around job creation... that’s the big driver and why the state has the program.

Oh... trust me... it’s been mentioned. [emoji482]

I've been following them for a while. They were suppose to open at the end of last year. Did they give a date? I also hear another brewery is going to open in Maynard. My friend who runs a store is expecting it to be pretty good.

Didn't see anything about dates, might have missed it.
As for Maynard, given Battle Road is already ensconced in the Mill I'm betting you heard something about http://www.amorystomb.com.
No dates there, either, but they look like the next up...

Cheers!

I'll have to check with my buddy. I've heard about the tomb too but for some reason I seem to recall another name. He's friends with the brewers so i'm taking his view on the brews will be biased ;-)

Not bad. Not great. Beer selection is weak at best. Only 1/3 of the taps have beer on them.
IMG_1461.jpg
. Sandwich pedestrian. Used to be sooooooo much better. Too bad.

“Look Alice. I’m sorry but I couldn’t care less about two hermaphrodites twirling around in glittery garb, while listening to two other hermaphrodites (ok Johny Wier is flat out playing for the other team) espouse their glory. I’m going upstairs to read. Probably a murder mystery. Or a war history. Anything other than listening to a guy in a tiara gushing praise about the beauty and artistry of ice dancing. When does hockey start?”

tbh, the only ice arena events that hold any attraction to me is the speed skating (especially short-track - that's awesome!) and hockey.
The Spousal Unit, oth, is all about the figure skating/ice dancing/whatever the eff the new "team" event is.
Fine. We have lots o' teevees :D

Tonight's saving grace was the slope-side stuff, though as an aggressive skier for almost 60 years it made my knees ache.

btw, there are at least four cable channels covering the Olympics to varying degrees...

Cheers!

Geezuz, when’s the last time THAT happened?

Back when I was an underclassman and had hair. Ancient history.

That 18 yo goalie has got some skills. The only problem is the Habs already own his arse.

Last year the tournament had like 8 kids turning pro. McAvoy looked like a baby giant playing against the other kids.

Having just dropped $200 on flowers, candy and a nice bottle of champagne Im sitting in traffic and Waze tells me I won’t get home for an hour. I’m 9 miles away. I might just bust open the champagne and chocolate for the ride and just not mention them to SWMBO.

You deserve it for participating in a ridiculous Hallmark holiday.

I think the biathalon is on to something. Every sport should have weapons. Runner takes off from first and tries to steal second, the catcher pulls out a Glock. Keep it fair, the catcher only has one bullet.

Forty yard field goal attempt, the safety has a 12 gauge loaded with bird shot like he’s calling in geese.

I think the world will be way more interesting when I’m in charge.

It's been a life-affirming couple of days 'round here, weather-wise. Needed that.
Back in the fridge tomorrow but that's ok, my batteries have a full charge now :ban:

On other fronts, Brian apparently got the Feds okey-dokey on his brew pub plans and can now go to the State and then the Town for approvals.
Which seems completely backward to me but I understand that's the process...

Back