HELP - Double Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbakernd

Reaction score
I am currently trying my 3rd beer via a recipe....the recipe states:

"Ferment in primary for 5 days at 68-70 F. Transfer to secondary fermenter on day 5 and prime with 3/4 cup of priming sugar. Bottle on day 14. Age bottles for 14 days and enjoy"

My question is after I transfer the beer from the Secondary fermenter to the bottle, will the beer have any carbination left?

This is posted in the wrong area, I don't think you want to prime until your ready to bottle. Move to beginning brewer section for more answers.

yeah don't do that. more help to come in beginning brewer section. we'll put ya right! welcome to a new obsession! GREAT question if those where your instructions!

Time may not be the best indicator, use your hydrometer to test, and your air lock is the worst indicator (see some of Revys posts!). 5 days seems a bit short.

yeast does things like cleaning up off flavors after it makes alcohol. a 10- 14 day (or more) is not uncommon. Secondary (fermentation) is a misnomer it's just an aging. A lot uf us only do this for big bears of beers. I usually even dry hop in primary once things settle down. Esp on IPAs. (once your hydrometer reads the same at 7 & 10 days or a few more if your reading changed your good to bottle). I generally go 2 weeks in primary for most things and have been happier for it.

Post your recipe & the yeast your using and we can get a better idea what your looking at. A brown ale using a nottingham dry yeast may be ready in that short of time, but I'd probably let it ride a bit longer to to get the bio clean up from the yeast.

Hope this helps

It does sound a little bit strange that the recipe would state to add dextrose when you're transfering to a secondary, then let it work for 9 days. Depending on the recipe, I can only imagine that it would expect to have some sugars that it still needed to ferment at bottling time, or there's a typographical error and perhaps they meant to say: prime with 3/4 sugar and bottle on day 14.

Possibly Malto Dextrin for extra body? even so I would have put that in the boil...

Post recipe and where instructions came from...

lol thats one book i don't have! recipes can be posted w/o copyright infringement sorry about posting back here just working off email ping

I am currently trying my 3rd beer via a recipe....the recipe states:

"Ferment in primary for 5 days at 68-70 F. Transfer to secondary fermenter on day 5 and prime with 3/4 cup of priming sugar. Bottle on day 14. Age bottles for 14 days and enjoy"

My question is after I transfer the beer from the Secondary fermenter to the bottle, will the beer have any carbination left?

either you're reading the recipe wrong or the recipe is written wrong. After you transfer to the secondary, you don't do anything, DO NOT put sugar in it, just let it sit. you only prime it right before you're about to bottle. BTW, u should ferment in the primary for at least 7 days

Back