How to lighten your sanke keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice!! Where did you find that lid? I just got a keg and I'm glad I came across this post!

I found the lid at a local kitchen supply store, I bought the lid before I cut the hole in the keg so I could get the hole exact using my Keg Kutter
Picture 033.jpgPicture 223.jpg

Picture 034.jpgPicture 41.jpg

Raider11,

Thanks from me too. I saw this and did it to my boil kettle, and love it. Easy to see into, less crevices for crud, and lighter to boot.

It did take a while, and I was sweating about grinding too deeply, but it worked out well. Haven't shined it up and probably won't.

I used the cut out with 3 SS washers soldered on for the lid, but need to find a better one, it is easy to drop the lid into the kettle, and with a water heater element in there, that's not such a good idea...

Im glad to hear that my contributions to Home Brew Talk are liked and useful
thanks all

how did you get the keg so shiny-bright?

I would like to thank BobbyFromNJ for the video he made on polishing your keg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ#p/u/42/9Ln-plGzVc4"]http://http://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ#p/u/42/9Ln-plGzVc4[/ame]

Copper pipe straps are like 12 for a dollar. You can bend them in half ream out the holes a bit and mount them under the washer in between the washer and lid and they will reach out and stop the lid from ever falling in. Also a 1 1/2" copper pipe cap and rubber mallet to knock it in place takes good care of the hole.

ForumRunner_20110929_004151.jpg

ForumRunner_20110929_005040.jpg

Anyone know of someone in the Portland, OR area who can do the skirt removal? I've got the grinder but lack the skill with it.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to tell you guys I did this on an AB keg today and it worked great. I used a thin cut off wheel on my 4" grinder. It took 2 wheels and about 30 minutes because I was being very careful. One thing I will mention is to please wear proper safety gear. One of my wheels got small and then bound up and shredded and shot a piece at me. I was wearing a face shield so no damage done. If you dont have a face shield Harbor Freight has some for like 5 or 6 dollars. Also I did not leave the handles on...I cut them off completely. After I got done I weighed the pieces I cut of and they were about 6 1/4 lbs. That a huge benefit. Now I just have to hit it with my flapper pad. :rockin:

Glad to hear you didnt get hurt, I've had 4 1/2" cutoff wheels fly off the around the arbor hole and never found where it went, theres no excuse for not being safe.
How do you plan to handle the keggle with out handles?

I actually tested out washing and cleaning it after I got done and handling it by the lip is not that hard. Even with some water in the bottom the weight I took off from the skirt makes it easier to handle. I have a brew stand where everything is stored on it and I just roll it out the garage door for use. I never lift kegs full of liquid so I did not see a big disadvantage to no handles. I am saving the handle pieces and will weld them on later if the need arises.

Sorry to resurrect this thread...but I'm lookin at doin this and want to know how people like having the lip on the top vs not havin it,and doin a straight cut across.

Back