First AG eff.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trappist Artist

Reaction score
Ok, Just finished my first AG brew this weekend. I was wondering what my eff. was. So, here's the results and recipie

7.5 Lbs. 2row
2.5 lbs. wheat malt
1 lb. Crystal 60

Wyeast German Ale

Cascade for boil
Saaz for flavor
and Tettng for aroma

(This is most of the recipe from Cheesefood caramel cream ale)

Final volume 6 gal
Final gravity 1.048

All right all you promashers let me know if you need any thing else!

Thanks for the calculations guys!

As for procedures:
I prewarmed my copper manifolded equiped cooler and then mashed at 152 degrees stirring every twenty minutes and adjusting the temperature. I then fly sparged at 175 degrees for half and hour to get about 5.5 gal. Then the regular boil and cooling with an immersion chiller. So, if there are any tips I am all ears!

TA

How do you collect 5.5g pre-boil and end up with 6g?

When fly sparging, I managed to bump my efficiency by about 10% by adding about 1g of near boiling water and stirring well at the end of the mash, then letting it stand for about 10 minutes before starting the sparge. This raises the sparge temperature to about 170 degrees, which considerably helps with dissolving the sugars.

-a.

I got six gallons because there was a leak in my chiller, which I caught and fixed after it added about 1 gal to my pot. :eek:

Raising the temp before I start the sparge sounds like a good idea...

Back