Newcastle Extract clone / Partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallbrew

Reaction score
You folks have been very helpful so im posting this recipe idea and am wondering if it needs tweaking?

Currently going to my LHBS to pick up some ingredients either today or Tuesday hopefully ill get some help before then. My first attempt at this as ive never had a bad batch off beer. But really would like this one to taste like Newcastle and dont have the Know it all to make an all grain

Now at my LHBS they have a liquid extract labeled Newcastle i dont know where it is from as i cant remember, im going to purchase this can i think it is 4 or 5 lbs of hopped malt extract i hope!

im going to buy some Morris otter and steep that 20 mins then shutoff start again with some chocolate malt at 20 mins
Am i missing any grain u guys?

pour in my extract can or cans boil for 60 with 1 oz of hallertau hops
at 60 mins and then at last ten mins golden Hastings

would it be a good idea to assume using a yeast from london or better yet from the brewery, and if so which one?
im going with white labs hopefully.

Thanks alot and cheers

Here is the Clone From Northern Brewer:

KIT INVENTORY:
SPECIALTY GRAIN
-- 0.25 lbs Simpson’s Dark Crystal
-- 0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
-- 0.25 lbs Weyermann CaraRed
FERMENTABLES
-- 1 lb Golden Light dry malt extract (60 min)
-- 6 lbs Gold malt syrup late addition (15 min)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
-- 1 oz Fuggle (60 min)
YEAST
-- WYEAST 1098 BRITISH ALE. From Whitbread. Ferments
dry and crisp, slightly tart, fruity and well-balanced. Ferments
well down to 65° F. Apparent attenuation: 68-72%. Flocculation:
high. Optimum temp: 64°-75° F.

Just bottled this yesterday....can't wait to try it in 2-3 weeks

Cheers

I'm not a fan of prehopped can extract kits. If you want to make a beer that tastes like Newcastle, my beginner recipe for English brown ale is pretty easy and it's better than those canned kits.

The kit from Northern Brewer looks like a winner, too!

Thanks i tried both recipes they will be ready to rack on Tuesday smelling great and tasting awesome! better than Newcastle

I bought a newcastle clone kit from ALABREW and the recipe is as follows:
6.6lbs Briess Pilsen light malt extract
2oz Muntons crystal 60
2oz muntons chocolate
1oz muntons black patent
Hops
Warrior 6.5aau(??) 30mins
Kent goldings .5oz 15mins

Nottingham dry yeast

I've hit the FG in 4 days and now I'm waiting for it to clear up for another week and a half, then bottle and wait 2 or 3 more weeks. I tasted my gravity sample and it was fairly good for warm, flat beer. :mug:

I bought a newcastle clone kit from ALABREW and the recipe is as follows:
6.6lbs Briess Pilsen light malt extract
2oz Muntons crystal 60
2oz muntons chocolate
1oz muntons black patent
Hops
Warrior 6.5aau(??) 30mins
Kent goldings .5oz 15mins

Nottingham dry yeast

I've hit the FG in 4 days and now I'm waiting for it to clear up for another week and a half, then bottle and wait 2 or 3 more weeks. I tasted my gravity sample and it was fairly good for warm, flat beer. :mug:

:mug:Ohh yeah!:mug: that looks like what i got except for the warrior hops the goldings are nice but i used northern brewer to get a close bitterness of Newcastle .

my procedure was to sip Newcastle ok i taste crystal 60 and 2 row and for color it needs black pat. just a little at different times i finally got a excellent clone out of this and it tastes spot on if not better.:rockin:

i have tried 3 different recipes and all came out close except one from lhbs my fault for believing him. this beer is one truwe clone and all the user recipes i got from this thread really makes some damn fine beer folks! so in conclusion thanks to all of u!:tank:

Back