Shelf life of wyeast and extending it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaja

Reaction score
The best before for wyeast as I believe is 6 months from packaging listed on the pack. If I have a pack that is nearing the 6 month mark, make up a stater and split it up. Is that a simple way of extending its shelf life? I take it happy yeast is happy yeast.

And then I can store my bottles of yeast at fridge temp till I need them and make another starter etc etc.

Or is it simply better to split it up earlier resulting in better yeast and using it if I can?

I know its only a guide and if it swells its usually all good.

I'd like to tag along on this. I've wondered about taking the inner packet (the actual yeast) and using the techniques in creating a Frozen Yeast Bank, make a larger frozen one to use later. I've used some frozen slants with success, so I don't know why this wouldn't work.

I'd like to tag along on this. I've wondered about taking the inner packet (the actual yeast) and using the techniques in creating a Frozen Yeast Bank, make a larger frozen one to use later. I've used some frozen slants with success, so I don't know why this wouldn't work.

The inner packet is the nutrient package- that's the one you break when you smack it. The yeast is the liquid "loose" in the package.

I think making a starter and saving the yeast from it is fine. Just always make a starter when you pull it out to use it.

The yeast is not in the inner packet.

From Wyeast's Website:
1. Is the yeast in the small inner packet or in the foil pouch itself?

The yeast is in the main foil pouch. The small inner packet contains the sterile nutrient and wort that feeds the yeast before it is added to your fermenter. First, the package and the nutrient packet are sterilized (autoclaved) then the yeast is added and the package is sealed.

I just used a packet of 11 month old Irish ale yeast for a 10 gallon batch this last week. I smacked it, let it sit for 6 hours, then pitched it into a 500 mL yeast starter, let that do its work for about 5 days, then pitched it. Less than 24 hours later both carboys with a Guinness clone had nice, frothy fermentations bubbling away.

I'd imagine that I'm at the high end of the usable life of the yeast, but I'm considering making something to toss on the yeast cakes next...

I bank straight from the smack pack.

1. smack it
  2. wait for it to bloat
  3. add about 9ml to each of 10 15ml microcentrifuge tubes
  4. add about 5ml of a glycerine/water mix
  5. shake
  6. freeze
  7. label tubes with date, generation (i.e., G1), and yeast type.

FYI, I think the bloated pack contains about 120ml. So, after banking 10 tubes, I still have about 30ml left to get a starter going for the "on-deck" beer. I have a ton of yeast in my freezer and I rarely buy yeast any more.

There is really no need to smack, and split it if you are not going to be using the yeast soon. The yeast will be fine after the 6 month date, although after the 6 months have expired I would make a starter everytime. I often use expired yeast from the store to make my brews and never had any problems. Smack it when your ready, make a starter, and then wash/bank it.

There is really no need to smack, and split it if you are not going to be using the yeast soon. The yeast will be fine after the 6 month date, although after the 6 months have expired I would make a starter everytime. I often use expired yeast from the store to make my brews and never had any problems. Smack it when your ready, make a starter, and then wash/bank it.

I had one that was 6 months old. 24 hours after smack, it had not bloated. I was anxious to get the starter going, so I just pitched the pack into my starter anyway. Took a couple of days, but it did grow normally.

Just to add to this thread, I brew 15 gallons at a time and build up starters to spread across 3 five gallon batches. I also make extra to bottle and save for future batches. I let the starters ferment out, then bottle it and refrigerate it.

I came across this bottle in my beer fridge in the garage, and at a few days over 1 year old, figured I'd give it a try.

It took a little longer, but my starters took off and now I have 10 gallons happily fermenting from this little bit of German yeast.

Wyeast_3068_Saved.jpg

Back