Mini Fridge big enough for fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Found this on craigslist today.

Dimensions approx 2'7" tall, 1'6" wide, and 1'7" deep

Do those dimensions seem big enough to hold a bucket with airlock? I'm at work right now and can't check. It's starting to get hot here in Florida and I'd love to have my fermentation completely under control. I've been using the tshirt/water bath method since I started.

:mug:

My bucket is about 12" in diameter and 23" tall with an airlock. If those are internal dimensions and there isn't a compressor shelf or anything to deal with inside it might be big enough.

Edit: It's actually only about 21.5" tall. I overestimated.
Edit again: It's a pretty standard 6.5 gal "Ale Pail", just so you know.

6 gallon better bottle needs about 12" depth, 24" high with airlock. All mini fridges seem to have the hump on the bottom back with a 45 degree angle at the corner/edge. You'd have to build a small shelf so it would clear the hump. The one I found in the trash, and later ruined by overbending the freezer "shelf", also required me to remove the plastic panel on the back of the door to remove the molded in shelves. After that, it would fit.

Without checking, I'm guessing no on the airlock. But you can do a blowoff instead by putting a hose straight into the grommet.

Back