American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks yooper,this is one of the best pale ales ive ever had.Possibly my best homebrew and i thought you have to have liquid yeast to get really awesome,this proves not. Organic Ivanhoe hops worked amazingly well,which i used.It left hop stench in my empty glass! I think i will use this as a base for using other kinds of single hops when i start brewing again.This is definatly one of the few brews i would brew again.If i start brewing larger batches this will be nice to have an abundance of.

This was the fastest Keg that Was taken down in my house. By far one of the best beers I've brewed. My buddy who is getting married this summer wants it at his wedding.. so here I am today jumping into a 10 gallon batch! Thanks Yooper!

I brewed this and kegged it after 24 days in primary. Skipped dry hopping and let the keg sit in a closet under 5lbs of pressure for a month while I snuck a wheat beer onto the tap for a relative.

Tried last weekend and it is definitely an excellent brew. Very clean, nice cascade smells, and neighbor asked my wife if I really brewed it myself. Lol. Will brew again soon so I have another keg ready to go. It's gonna go fast.

[edit] Added pic
adf777bd.jpg

I LOVE that picture!

We don't have many "house beers" but we have this one, a house amber (Bob loves willamette and cascade together) and a house IPA (the DFH recipe). Those three beers are still my favorites, and I'm so happy that others have enjoyed them as much as we have.

Thank you for sharing your picture!

Looking forward to giving this a go this weekend!! Thanks so much Yooper! I will post back with my results.

EDIT: Brewed Saturday the 28th! Can not wait to give this one a try!!

Video of BrewDay

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
i brewed this and kegged it after 24 days in primary. Skipped dry hopping and let the keg sit in a closet under 5lbs of pressure for a month while i snuck a wheat beer onto the tap for a relative.

Tried last weekend and it is definitely an excellent brew. Very clean, nice cascade smells, and neighbor asked my wife if i really brewed it myself. Lol. Will brew again soon so i have another keg ready to go. It's gonna go fast.

[edit] added pic
adf777bd.jpg

yum!!!!!

HbgBill said:
I'd like to try this recipe. I am wanting to try my first AG brew and need some help. I WANT to brew a bunch of batches at about 2 G. The reason is I don't get to brew much.. can't drink it fast enough.. and I want to learn to dial in a process(es).. so, many brews should help me with that.

How do I convert Yoop's original recipe to a 2 G batch..? Also, If I'm doing a small batch, can I buy a vial of yeast, shake it well and only pour half into the FB.. saving the rest for next week? I understand that measurements will be critical.. more so than, say, a 5 G batch.. and I have a good scale. I will probably do the mashing in a bag in a smaller pot on the stove if that makes a difference. Does 1.25-1.5 qts per pound sound right for this small batch? Any other advice? Yep, I know small batches don't make much sense.. but.. I'd really like to brew more often.. for now. :)

Thanks for any help.

Bill

You qts per pound sound about right. On the higher end of that range (with a thinner mash) you may want to stir from time to time to ensure the enzymes get a lot of contact time with starches since the mash is more dilute.

As for scaling recipes up and down, there are a number of websites and stand alone programs that will help with that. BeerSmith does a good job and you can download a free trial. I also use Beer Calculus, a website at hopville.com when I am just tinkering with a recipe. It does a good job of letting you change volumes and grain ratios on the fly when trying to tune a recipe.

I would never use a partial vial of yeast and hold the rest for a batch that I was not going to brew same day. I am sure some do, but for me, the risk of contamination is too great. Use a pitching rate calc like mrmalty.com and pitch accordingly. You may be surprised to find that a good yeast calc like that will tell you .5 of a vial would not be enough. If its close, I have always erred on the high side of what mrmalty recommends.

It has been my experience that once you take viability, handling, etc into consideration, it is pretty hard for the average homebrewer to over pitch. We are much more like not to give our beer enough healthy viable yeast.

Good luck. This is an outstanding recipe that I have brewed many variations of.

Just for fun. I plugged in 2 gal of 1.048 ale to mrmalty. Using a brand new vial (I gave it a use by date of 10/1/12) mrmalty recommends .7 of a vial with no starter. You would be more than fine using a full vial under those conditions

First, this recipe looks great! I was looking for a few recipes to put together my next few brews and I ended up picking two of yours. But now, I have a question for you Yooper. What do you think of using Wyeast 1272 with this recipe? I have ordered the grain bill for this and your fizzy yellow, but I was wanting to re-use my washed 1272 instead of starting a new strain. I was thinking the 1272 would work better with this one than the fizzy yellow but looking for your thoughts on it.

Thanks for the input.

First, this recipe looks great! I was looking for a few recipes to put together my next few brews and I ended up picking two of yours. But now, I have a question for you Yooper. What do you think of using Wyeast 1272 with this recipe? I have ordered the grain bill for this and your fizzy yellow, but I was wanting to re-use my washed 1272 instead of starting a new strain. I was thinking the 1272 would work better with this one than the fizzy yellow but looking for your thoughts on it.

Thanks for the input.

It was one of my first smack packs and it is a super clean bottom floc yeast. It washed out really easy so i am wanting to keep the strain going. I did get the Safale 05 but as it is dry, I was thinking I would keep it and use it on another brew. On that topic, how is the 05 to wash?

It was one of my first smack packs and it is a super clean bottom floc yeast. It washed out really easy so i am wanting to keep the strain going. I did get the Safale 05 but as it is dry, I was thinking I would keep it and use it on another brew. On that topic, how is the 05 to wash?

I rinse and save S05 often. It stays clean for quite a while!

Got my grain bill for this and your fizzy yellow. Got a ****load of hops and some other supplies too. Gonna flip a coin and see which one hits the fermenter this weekend!

Forgot whirfloc and I didn't strain anything on the way to the fermenter, only my 2nd AG, 2nd time kegging also. Came out super cloudy, almost muddy looking. Vented the keg and added gelatin, after 2 days, I have this

image-3707611805.jpg

Clearest beer I have ever made, damn tasty too.

Ok, here we go, just doughed in for BIAB haus ale. After adding grain, I am at 155, not planning on heating again, insulated kettle with moving blankets and starting my 75 minute mash.

Hit my target post boil SG! I have just under 5.5 gallons heading for the fermenter!

I picked up the grains and hops for this today. I'll be brewing it on Saturday.

I also picked up the Wyeast 1056 and realized I had some harvested 1272. Has anybody done this recipe with both and have any preferences? (Not with both in the same batch. However that might be interesting to try.)

I'll be making the starter tomorrow.

made this over the weekend... used all of our fresh cascades from our own hop harvest for this... I used about 1.5x the amount... Cant wait... Love this brew

IMAG1725.jpg

I really want to make this beer and have about an oz of Columbus sitting around as well as about 3 oz of first year homegrown Zeus that I just harvested. I know these are both high AA hops but I doubt my Zeus has as much as expected since they are homegrown. And ideas on using these hops for this beer??? I though of using the Columbia for bitter ing and zeus the rest but figures I could get some input here.

So I used this recipe as a "base" and went all spontaneous with it. I will brew it this weekend. Could decide what "seasonal" I wanted, so I opted to make something between a Pale and IPA and I love hops, so this is my football beer.

Beersmith has me worried, as it's always closer to the conservative side more often than not, and it's on the high end of where I want to be.

6# Marris Otter
3# Munich
3# Vienna
.5# Crystal 20
.5# Crystal 40

1oz Falconers Flight 7 C's @60
1oz Falconers FLight 7C's @20
1oz Cascade @10
.5 oz Falconers Flight 7C's @ 5
.5oz Flaconers Flight 7C's @ FlameOut

1oz Citra Whole Leaf @ Dryhop

Mash at 152* for 70 minutes, 4.8g Mash, 5 gal Sparge at 168*

Pitching some 1056, but might do that, or toss it on a cake from a 1.045 Blonde I did with US05 the other week that I've been too lazy to mess with at the moment.

BS has me at 75%, 1.069 OG, 61 IBU, 10.3 SRM and 7.3%

So... a bit bigger than I wanted, but it's actually in my "sweetspot" for my IPA/APA's.

Anyways.. Thanks for the inspiration Yooper and Company.

FATC1TY said:
So I used this recipe as a "base" and went all spontaneous with it. I will brew it this weekend. Could decide what "seasonal" I wanted, so I opted to make something between a Pale and IPA and I love hops, so this is my football beer.

Beersmith has me worried, as it's always closer to the conservative side more often than not, and it's on the high end of where I want to be.

6# Marris Otter
3# Munich
3# Vienna
.5# Crystal 20
.5# Crystal 40

1oz Cascade @10

Pitching some 1056, but might do that, or toss it on a cake from a 1.045 Blonde I did with US05 the other week that I've been too lazy to mess with at the moment.

So... a bit bigger than I wanted, but it's actually in my "sweetspot" for my IPA/APA's.

I made this, same proportions, 1.070 with 5 oz of all falc flight hop bursted over the last 25 min for a calculated 70 ish IBUs. Heavenly. You will not be sorry you went big with this recipe.

I made this, same proportions, 1.070 with 5 oz of all falc flight hop bursted over the last 25 min for a calculated 70 ish IBUs. Heavenly. You will not be sorry you went big with this recipe.

Nice! Appreciate the good word on it.

I plan to toss in the cascade late on it to get a bit more of it than the 7C's would leave me. Felt it would work well to highlight it a bit more.

Did you add all 5 oz in the last 25? As in no 60 min addition? I was super hesitant to add that much crystal to it, and figured I'd need some good bittering addition to hold it back. But then figured the roasted flavor of the munich would help hold the sweetness a bit.

I'm looking forward to the new hop. Haven't used it yet personally.

So I used this recipe as a "base" and went all spontaneous with it. I will brew it this weekend.

6# Marris Otter
3# Munich
3# Vienna
.5# Crystal 20
.5# Crystal 40

1oz Cascade @10

So I brewed this today. Made a few changes.

Mashed for 75 minutes at 151*/152*.. I added some burton water salts to the mash as well to bring my filtered/ RO water up to snuff.

Hit my numbers spot on per Beersmith. 1.082 first runnings, 1.055 pre boil, and 1.070 post boil for 5.25 gallons. HIt roughly 77% brewhouse efficiency, 82% mash efficiency.. Not bad for my 2nd batch.

I swapped out the 15 min addition of FF3C's for Cascade, and moved the Cascade to 10 minutes. Everything else was the same. Should come around 7.8 % ABV roughly, depending on where this bad boy finished at.

It's closer to an IPA based on historic style. Pretty much middle of the road for everything for an IPA. Roughly 55 IBU's or something like that.

All told, I think this will be a good IPA with the tweaks.

Thank you Yooper.

FATC1TY said:
Nice! Appreciate the good word on it.

I plan to toss in the cascade late on it to get a bit more of it than the 7C's would leave me. Felt it would work well to highlight it a bit more.

Did you add all 5 oz in the last 25? As in no 60 min addition? I was super hesitant to add that much crystal to it, and figured I'd need some good bittering addition to hold it back. But then figured the roasted flavor of the munich would help hold the sweetness a bit.

I'm looking forward to the new hop. Haven't used it yet personally.

I did an ounce every 5 min from 25 min left in the boil down to 5 min, then left the 10 and 5 min additions in while chilling. The one thing I would change next time is mash temp. I went a little higher (153-4) because my last pale ale dried out too much. Didn't do a mash out before sparging and got some extra conversion I wasn't planning on. What I didn't realize with the hop bursting is how smooth the bittering would be. A 60 min charge or a lower mash temp would have cut the sweetness a bit. This beer is by no means sweet. But I think a drier finish would have showcased the FF better. I am considering bumping my mash to the 151-52 range and adding 20 IBU of something more neutral (maybe Magnum) next time. I would adjust my late charges to keep it in the same 70 or so. But neither I nor my guests have complained about the current version

I did an ounce every 5 min from 25 min left in the boil down to 5 min, then left the 10 and 5 min additions in while chilling. The one thing I would change next time is mash temp. I went a little higher (153-4) because my last pale ale dried out too much. Didn't do a mash out before sparging and got some extra conversion I wasn't planning on. What I didn't realize with the hop bursting is how smooth the bittering would be. A 60 min charge or a lower mash temp would have cut the sweetness a bit. This beer is by no means sweet. But I think a drier finish would have showcased the FF better. I am considering bumping my mash to the 151-52 range and adding 20 IBU of something more neutral (maybe Magnum) next time. I would adjust my late charges to keep it in the same 70 or so. But neither I nor my guests have complained about the current version

Sounds like I'm close to what you'll do. I ended up going with hop additions throughout the boil, and left them all in there until I whirlpooled the siphoned off the kettle to primary.

I was scared it would sweet, and wanted it a bit drier anyways, so I did 151 or so, and mashed out at 171*. I had roughly 2 quarts of wort left that I didn't need and tipped out of the grain on the end.. 1.032 was my last runnings, so that was pretty exciting.

I did:
.5 Falconers Flight 7C's FWH
.5 Falconers Flight 7C's @ 60
.05 Falconers Flight 7C's @ 30
1.0 Cascade @15
1.0 Falconers Flight 7C's @ 10
.5 Falconers Flight 7C's @ 5
.5 Falconers Flight 7C's @ Flame Out

Plan to 1 oz Citra whole leaf dry hop in keg.

Should be tasty I think. Hope it doesn't dry out too far, but I don't want it to be sweet, and 1# of crystal has me a bit on guard about it.

We brewed a 10 gallon batch of this on Saturday night, but threw in an ounce of Nelson hops that a friend brought back from NZ for us. We've got her chilling in our spare bedroom with the temp set at 18c (62f) and I plan on keeping her there for 2 weeks. Then we'll throw in 2oz of Nelsons again as the dry hop. Can't wait!
Thanks, Yooper!

FATC1TY said:
Sounds like I'm close to what you'll do. I ended up going with hop additions throughout the boil, and left them all in there until I whirlpooled the siphoned off the kettle to primary.

I was scared it would sweet, and wanted it a bit drier anyways, so I did 151 or so, and mashed out at 171*. I had roughly 2 quarts of wort left that I didn't need and tipped out of the grain on the end.. 1.032 was my last runnings, so that was pretty exciting.

I did:
.5 Falconers Flight 7C's FWH
.5 Falconers Flight 7C's @ 60
.05 Falconers Flight 7C's @ 30
1.0 Cascade @15
1.0 Falconers Flight 7C's @ 10
.5 Falconers Flight 7C's @ 5
.5 Falconers Flight 7C's @ Flame Out

Plan to 1 oz Citra whole leaf dry hop in keg.

Should be tasty I think. Hope it doesn't dry out too far, but I don't want it to be sweet, and 1# of crystal has me a bit on guard about it.

You'll love the FF. well, I do anyway. It doesn't have much in the way of resin or pungent characteristics that you get from some NW hops. It lends itself toward more light citrus and tropical fruit. Granted I did everything in the last 25 min, but the bitterness is surprisingly smooth. My wife, very much NOT a hophead, drank a glass the other day. Her comments were "hoppy but definitely more pleasant for me than your Pliny clone was"

How many IBU's did you get with adding all the hops the last 25 minutes? I'd assume that outside of 30 minutes, you got very little bittering from them, and would have really low IBU's.

I'm not afraid of bitter, and was worried with 1# of crystal in this that it would be tooo sweet.

I used an ounce every 5 min starting at 25 min. Calculated it was 79 IBU although my #s are less than precise. I use a handmade spreadsheet that uses the Tinseth equation.

Aside from all the usual discussion over the various usage equations, my numbers are open to interpretation because of how I estimate wort gravity on my sheet. I have spots on my sheet where my pre and post boil gravities are calculated based on volume and ingredients. Then I just take those numbers and divide by 2 to give me an average gravity during the boil. That is the # that is plugged into Tinseth to derive utilization. That # along with weight and aa% gives me IBUs

Not super precise, but it usually tracks pretty close to Beersmith. I made it as more of a quick and dirty tool to start recipe building. It may not be exact. But since I am measuring all my beers with the same tool, all my numbers are imprecise in precisely the same way.

So that was the long version of the short answer, 79

Yooper.. what is the SRM of this beer? Seems like it might be a bit dark? Don't really care about color too much as long as it tastes good.... but, just curious.

Mine was a ramped up, slightly changed version, but pretty close in grain, and beersmith has me at 10.3.

Slightly darker than you'd want, but thats the crystal and the maris otter doing it I think.

It's middle of the road, as 5-15 is within the spectrum from an American Pale.. Mines in the IPA category, which is 6-15 I think.

Mine was a ramped up, slightly changed version, but pretty close in grain, and beersmith has me at 10.3.

Slightly darker than you'd want, but thats the crystal and the maris otter doing it I think.

It's middle of the road, as 5-15 is within the spectrum from an American Pale.. Mines in the IPA category, which is 6-15 I think.

Yes, it was pretty dark- I think 12 SRM. Still within the BJCP guidelines for APA, but darker than Sierra Nevada for sure.

Back