Marshmallow wine! After nearly a year of aging!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arpolis

Reaction score
Haha

A while back someone posted about doing rediculous wines and I decided on a couple but the most promising was the 1 liter marshmallow wine I made. I took nearly no notes so most of this is from memory. I took a whole bag of marshmallows and at first tried to boil some water and melt them in it. That was impossible! They just proofed up and were extra fluffy. After like an hour they never melted into the water. I then started throwing ladles full in the blender. After a good blitzing and a little hot water I got it all dissolved. I think the gravity was about 1.100. I threw in a pinch of yeast nutrient and pitched some lalvin 1116 yeast and away it went. I have been too scared to touch it for nearly a year. I gave it a serious try yesterday...

Oh man!!! ...

It was like you mixed rubbing alcohol, cheap tequila and bud light together!

Gaaaaahhhhh!

It was not enough to make me spit it out which some bad experents in the past have like my cucumber mead but this stuff was not great. Lets wait another year and see what it is like lol.

Glad someone is pushing the limits and also glad it's not me! LOL,

Like your style though and keep it up!

Best,

Is it bad that even though this thread was written to say "this tastes bad" but I now want to try it?

Is it bad that even though this thread was written to say "this tastes bad" but I now want to try it?

you're sick, dude. i wonder if using tiny marshmallows instead of regular marshmallows would make a difference in ease of use... :D

This is interesting, did you happen to use the ones made with eggwhites or where they of the gelatin variety? Did you roast them before you added them to the blender?

You might want to do a little research on Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) flower and root. I pulled up the wikipedia site, appearently the homeade french varieties called for rose water. It might be worth experimenting with the raw ingredients sans egg white. That is provided that Marshmallow is a relatively safe plant. I know rose wine can be pretty freakin good, so it might be worth a shot.

I could be way off base here, but marshmallows are made from sugar and gelatin.

So, basically I think what you made was a similar derivative of what the Finns or sweeds make? I think it's called killedjue. (I know it sounds like you are saying "Killed you") I would look it up, but gotta run. Anyway, to the best of my memory, it's primarily made by young adults for the alcohol content. Something to do with laws and adding anything to it, I can't remember now.

This is interesting, did you happen to use the ones made with eggwhites or where they of the gelatin variety? Did you roast them before you added them to the blender?

You might want to do a little research on Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) flower and root. I pulled up the wikipedia site, appearently the homeade french varieties called for rose water. It might be worth experimenting with the raw ingredients sans egg white. That is provided that Marshmallow is a relatively safe plant. I know rose wine can be pretty freakin good, so it might be worth a shot.

The marshmallows where generic store brand made with gelatin. The marshmallows were boils in water for an hour and then the water and marshmallows went into the blender to liquefy.

I think the marshmallow flavors can be re-produced and probably would be best in a mead made with some meadowfoam honey. But this was just to see what normal marshmallows would produce out of curiosity.

When I was driving, I was thinking of this thread. Budvar mentioned roasting them, I think that would be awesome!

Ok; since we are stretching our imaginations, take it just a touch further. Roast the mallows. And add chocolate syrup to the secondary. If it was a mead, I seriously think that a s'more flavor could be attained.

I really like the idea with using the raw original ingredients. But for simplicity, let's say you do this:

Ingredients:

Firewood
Bag of 'mallows
Liquid chocolate syrup
Honey

Roast all the mallows as follows:Roast, as the mallow gets a nice roasted coating on it, pull off the roasted coating (toss in primary). (Just like if your mallow catches fire and you don't like the burnt taste, you take the coating off like a used condom. Sorry for the association, but it's so iconic.) Continue to roast the mallow again, toasting the inside of the original mallow. This ensures we are going to maximize on that roasted flavor.

Rinse and repeat, until all the marshmallows are in primary.

Once all the mallows are roasted add water and honey, making mead. Rack onto chocolate syrup in secondary. Maybe even add oak.

Bottle, age, serve with Teddy Grahams.

Pairs well with Teddy Grahms, Grahm Crackers, camping, campfires and gravel-pit parties.

I have to admit; I have done a complete 180* turn on this. At first I was thinking "Ok, no surprize, it tastes like snot." Now: Whoa! "s'more mead please!"

When I was driving, I was thinking of this thread. Budvar mentioned roasting them, I think that would be awesome!

Ok; since we are stretching our imaginations, take it just a touch further. Roast the mallows. And add chocolate syrup to the secondary. If it was a mead, I seriously think that a s'more flavor could be attained.

I really like the idea with using the raw original ingredients. But for simplicity, let's say you do this:

Ingredients:

Firewood
Bag of 'mallows
Liquid chocolate syrup
Honey

Roast all the mallows as follows:Roast, as the mallow gets a nice roasted coating on it, pull off the roasted coating (toss in primary). (Just like if your mallow catches fire and you don't like the burnt taste, you take the coating off like a used condom. Sorry for the association, but it's so iconic.) Continue to roast the mallow again, toasting the inside of the original mallow. This ensures we are going to maximize on that roasted flavor.

Rinse and repeat, until all the marshmallows are in primary.

Once all the mallows are roasted add water and honey, making mead. Rack onto chocolate syrup in secondary. Maybe even add oak.

Bottle, age, serve with Teddy Grahams.

Pairs well with Teddy Grahms, Grahm Crackers, camping, campfires and gravel-pit parties.

I have to admit; I have done a complete 180* turn on this. At first I was thinking "Ok, no surprize, it tastes like snot." Now: Whoa! "s'more mead please!"

Been done with a beer...

smorestout-e1262284639513.jpg

As a Michigan guy, Shorts has a place in my heart. My buddies bring up Shorts in growlers when they come up from TC. They push the flavors with their beers! Strawberry Short's Cake, PB&J Ale, etc.. I had no idea they did a S'more Stout though!

Sometimes beers are able to hold flavors a bit easier to the original ingredient. Not always, but I have found that's the case some of the time. I was thinking adding graham crumbs in the recipe, but figured that the siting in yeast for months would turn it to yeasty crud. It's worth a try though!

A mead is what I was referring to. A lot of things have been done with beers that have not yet been done or may be thought impossible to do with a wine or mead. For whatever reason the beer world lends itself nicer to prototyping. Perhaps it's the relatively quick turn around time compared to aging for years as in wines and meads. Also, the wine industry seems to be one of the most traditional industries ever, unwilling to change. IMHO, I like the deep tradition of wine. I like full corks, thick glass, and aging to perfection. Though novelty wines such as the one being discussed is a neat sideline as well.

Well I might be convinced to do another experimental marshmallow wine with different technique but I was already planning my next experiment to be Rose of Sharon wine since my Rose of Sharon trees are in full bloom. Keep the ideas and talk coming and I may be suede.

If your tree is in full bloom, without a question do Rose of Sharon (I assume hibiscus?)! Marshmallows are in bloom anytime the grocery store is open.

What are your thoughts; Marshmallow reproduction or s'mores? I am personally more interested in s'mores. I do like the idea of obtaining the old french ingredients for marshmallows.

I can't get a batch rolling for quite some time. I have fruit & berries coming out my ears right now. SWMBO "needs" the freezer space!

As a Michigan guy, Shorts has a place in my heart. My buddies bring up Shorts in growlers when they come up from TC. They push the flavors with their beers! Strawberry Short's Cake, PB&J Ale, etc.. I had no idea they did a S'more Stout though!

Sometimes beers are able to hold flavors a bit easier to the original ingredient. Not always, but I have found that's the case some of the time. I was thinking adding graham crumbs in the recipe, but figured that the siting in yeast for months would turn it to yeasty crud. It's worth a try though!

A mead is what I was referring to. A lot of things have been done with beers that have not yet been done or may be thought impossible to do with a wine or mead. For whatever reason the beer world lends itself nicer to prototyping. Perhaps it's the relatively quick turn around time compared to aging for years as in wines and meads. Also, the wine industry seems to be one of the most traditional industries ever, unwilling to change. IMHO, I like the deep tradition of wine. I like full corks, thick glass, and aging to perfection. Though novelty wines such as the one being discussed is a neat sideline as well.

A s'more mead would be interesting, especially if you used honey graham crackers in the brew!

How do you think that the honey grahams will work out? Would it be okay? It's got me wondering now. What else would ferment to give a graham-esque taste? I fear that it would be all broken down from the yeast action, no? Maybe if it was in secondary. Or! If you rack onto graham and honey after stabilizing, then age for a bit?

Back sweetening would have to happen for sure.

I am thinking a nice light golden brown color. Lightweight full bodied, toasty on the nose with graham following, subtly sweet.

This is nuts. I have to try this. I can't wait.

I was just reading through home made marshmallow recipes, and I think that maybe we can get the mallow flavor from just a touch of vanilla and maybe cooked sugar? Maybe a cooked flavor could be achieved from a burnt oak barrel? It would add color too. What about wheat in primary or in secondary?

A barrel like this: http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/products/age-your-own-whiskey-kit/ Smaller barrel ages quicker too.

Hey check this idea out:

1 gal recipe

10 large jet puffed marshmallows
1/4 lb graham cracker
2 oz bakers chocolate
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp amylase enzyme
Sugar to gravity (1.090)
Yeast (some ale yeast)

Process

Break up graham crackers into large double boiler pot and add 1/2 gallon of water. Mix in amylase enzyme and bring temp to 155*F and hold for an hour. Strain graham cracker and water through nylon and into primary and allow to cool.

Take 5 marshmallows and burn over stove. When black all over blow out and slide the crust off into the primary and repeat till we have 5 marshmallows worth of burnt marshmallow. The remaining marshmallows blend in the blender with 1 cup boiling water to liquefy then add to primary. Shred up 1oz of chocolate and add to primary. Mix in the yeast nutrient and water/sugar adjusting to gravity of 1.09 and pitch yeast.

Stir twice daily until fermentation dies down and yeast starts to settle. Rack to secondary and add remaining chocolate. Let it sit under airlock and rack every 30 days till sediment stops dropping. Stabilize and back sweeten to 1.02ish. Then taste this one at 6 months and at 1 year. Bottle whenever clear.

What do you all think? Also I do not use many ale yeasts but I think an ale yeast would work out well here. What kind of yeast would you all suggest?

Dont you guys have marshmallow cream where you live? How about you freeze your mallows and then crunch them with a piece of wood to pulverize them, a good excuse to play with liquid nitrogen right :) WVMJ

We have marshmallow cream but do you put that on a s'more? We are making wacky Booz here. We need to be authentic!

Ha! I love it!

The recipe looks good but as Tex mentioned, the graham flour may be the way to go. Maybe brew some in in the beginning but rack half of it onto it. Splitting the batch to see what works.

Also, what about roasting the mallows as said, but instead of adding any raw mallows, use the mallow cream if that's easier. Is it the same stuff?

Latest posts

Back