Nothing is happening???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulinuke

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch on tuesday night. Pitched yeast on wednessday morning when it was finally cool. It is now Thursday evening and I have not seen any sign of fermentation yet. Is there anything I should do or is this a lost cause. Any help would be appreciated.
Paul

How did you store it over night?

How long did you wait from end of boil to pitching the yeast?

How did you cool it?

Post your recipe and OG.

Well, it didn't sit too long, I would say no more that 5 hours or so from the time I finished boiling to pitching the yeast, I stayed up very late and then got up too early to go to work, The wort was stored in the primary fermenter for that time and the only thing I did to cool it other than wait was to add the required cold water to make up the 5 gallon batch. I don't have the starting gravity with me here at work, but I remember that it was very close to the gravity listed with the recipe. The recipe was a partial mash Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout clone. Hopefully while I sit here at work it has started doing something, I but I am not holding much hope for it. Paul

I'm a total new guy to breweing, but if it helps, my first batch was like that. I came home from work expecting some magical creation, but nothing. Then, I was awoken in the night with bubling and gurgling, kinda like the night before christmas only with beer. But when mine took, it went off in a hurry, and is now doing great. I sampled a bit before I bottled it and it was even good then, can't wait for the final product. Maybe no help to you but hang tight, I'm sure a more experienced fella will chime in.

Next time try putting the pot in the sink or bath tub and run cold water and use ice (on the outside). I fill a tub of ice in the freezer over a few days before I boil and using around 50 ice cubes and water in the bath tub I can bring 3 gallons down to 80F in about 10 minutes.

It is important to get the yeast in there so bacteria or wild yeast can't take over. If everything was WELL sanitized I think you will be OK.

Give it some time that is going to be the only way to tell.

Also what type of yeast did you use?

I can't remember the yeast I used, it was a dry yeast that came with the clone kit. It has now been about 60 hours with no sign of fermentation. I am pretty sure this one is going to be a total loss, except for being good practice I guess. Any chance the yeast is to blame, and also do you think my supplier would try to make good on this.
Paul

If you still have no fermentation in the morning, I'd go buy some new yeast from your Local Home Brew Store (LHBS) first thing in the morning and pitch it on there. You might well save it yet!

Is this batch still viable, without the yeast working their magic yet has this brew sat around too long? I don't know if I will be able to get yeast any sooner than saturday night/sunday morning with my current work schedule. Heres hoping.

Paulinuke said:
Is this batch still viable, without the yeast working their magic yet has this brew sat around too long? I don't know if I will be able to get yeast any sooner than saturday night/sunday morning with my current work schedule. Heres hoping.

Still give it a shot. The worst thing you can have happen is you spend another 5 bucks on yeast and have it not work. Try making a small (1quart) starter a day early then pitching the yeast. Better to try to fix it first before dumping.

What temperature are you fermenting at? Also what are you using as a primary? If it's a bucket with a lid, perhaps.... the lid leaked by and it actually fermented.

McKBrew said:
What temperature are you fermenting at? Also what are you using as a primary? If it's a bucket with a lid, perhaps.... the lid leaked by and it actually fermented.

Yeah, that's a good point. Open it carefully and see if you see signs of krausen (foam). If so, close it really well and cross your fingers!

If not, get some yeast and pitch it. Someone at your homebrew shop should be able to help you match yeast to the to the style you've done. I'd try to go with dry yeast in your situation. Maybe even two packets just to innoculate the heck out of it!

You have nothing to lose but a few bucks and a drive to the LHBS, and I'd say you have very good odds of saving it.

Was it yeast from a kit? In future don't bother with that. Buy some from the fridge at your LHBS as it's almost certainly fresher.

Moon

I'll second the leaky lid if you are using a bucket. If it doesn't seal all the way, CO2 will leak out the lid and the airlock will do nothing.

Also, dumb question but has been the soultion before, did you put water or some liquid in the airlock?

Let's see, I will try to answer all the questions
The yeast was from the kit
The primary is a bucket with a lid and airlock
The airlock does have water in it, but that would have been funny
I think it is sealed up good because if I push on the lid it caused the airlock to bubble
I pulled the cover off before work and it doesn't look like foam on the top but more like some sort of "snotty" substance.
I will likely pitch yeast again tomorrow before work, nut I will probably pick up another kit while at the store so if this one is a loss I can brew again this week, I will get fresh yeast this time. Paul

We've all been there and done that, or at least most of us have. Good rules of thumb are:

1) never use the yeast that comes with the (cheaper) kits
2) Always have a package or two of good dry yeast like windsor or nottingham around to repitch when disaster strikes

OK, so I looked in the primary again and what I thought was a "snotty substance" was definitely not. It was just some small bunches of bubbles. I went to the brew supply place today and explained what happened to them. They suggested the same thing as everyone here, try pitching yeast again. Thats what I did this afternoon. I also bought another kit either for my next brew, or to replace this one if nothing happens. I am really hoping this takes off. It smells really good even as it is, I really want this to work out. Paul

You didn't answer one question.
McKBrew asked what temperature are you trying to ferment at. Without knowing the details of the recipe and yeast, I would guess that you need a temperature from the upper 60s' to about 70.

-a.

Paulinuke said:
My mistake, the primary temp is at about 68 degrees.
Paul

I had something similar happen with my last barley wine. I pitched a dry packet of Nottingham after 3 days of nothing and the thing went gangbusters on me. I always keep a spare dry yeast packet around just for this type of occassion.

Good luck! I'm sure it will taste great once it gets going. Just make sure you give it a little extra time to ferment since the lag was so much.

:mug:

Still no airlock activity before work today. T respond to an earlier question, yes there a crud ring around the top of the primary but I think it is some hops and grain that I missed when transferring. I really hope this isn't going to be a wasted batch. I need reassurance. Paul

really? even having not seen airlock activity or finding any krausen when I removed the lid. I guess it could have happened, I am ussually away at work for 14-15v hours depending on if I go to the gym. I will check the gravity in the morning. That would be awesome if that was the case. Heres hoping. Paul

I'm feeling pretty confident that it has fermented and you missed it! Take a taste, too, when you take the s.g. I bet it'll taste like beer!

I could be wrong, of course- but I hope not. :mug:

So, I took a sample out of the primary and the specific gravity was 1.020. I guess I just missed it somehow, I know it needs to get a little lower, but I think it will happen during secondary. I racked it over to a carboy on monday morning. It tasted pretty good for being warm and flat. Thanks to everyone. Paul

I can imagine you are a bit disappointed Paul, monitoring fermentation is probably one of the more exciting parts of brewing.

dissapointed? HECK NO! I can't believe it actually worked out. I thought that brew was going down the drain for sure. I can't wait to start drinking it now. It still has a week and a half left in secondary and then I will be out of the country for three weeks before I get to do any real sampling. At least it will have the proper time to bottle condition. Paul

Paul, just leave me the keys to your apartment and I'll be happy to "monitor" it's progress for you.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back