Spent Grain Recipes Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennett2136

Reaction score
Everyone tells me to just suck it up and compost them. But, I would way rather bake them into something tasty. Anyone have any good recipes for spent grain you care to share?

2 parts spent grain mixed with 8 parts garbage in a 45 gallon container with swivel lid, no need to stir. Sit out on your curb, can sit in ambient temps of -30 to 110 for as many as 7 days before it is complete.

Thanks for pointing out that thread!

Also,
Stone Brewing has some spent grain soap which seems like a kinda cool idea:
Ruination IPA Spent Grain Soap - Stone Company Store

I'm guessing making soap probably isn't going to appeal to the average home brewer but my SWMBO is into making soaps, lotions, shampoos, ect and I've been meaning to try to get her to make some man soap for me out of spent grains but keep forgetting.

Here's one I always try to use. 12 lbs. spent grain in a large roasting pan. Some might spill over but that's ok. Just heap it up as good as you can to make sure none goes to waste and toss it in the oven. Set the oven to 350F & bake it. Every 20 min. or so check & see if anything is burnt yet. Once you think it might burn with in the next 20 min. pull it out and wallah! You have a heap of cooked on the outside spent grains you can eat that didn't have to be thrown away.

p.s. This is totally a joke so don't try this at home.

Here's one I always try to use. 12 lbs. spent grain in a large roasting pan. Some might spill over but that's ok. Just heap it up as good as you can to make sure none goes to waste and toss it in the oven. Set the oven to 350F & bake it. Every 20 min. or so check & see if anything is burnt yet. Once you think it might burn with in the next 20 min. pull it out and wallah! You have a heap of cooked on the outside spent grains you can eat that didn't have to be thrown away.

Hmm... makes me wonder if spent grains would be a good addition to meat loaf...

SWMBO has chickens - they love spent grain so I am encouraged to brew frequently.

Chickens are great! Get chickens!

It can be converted to bacon. Just feed it to your pig for six months and voila! Way better than spent grain bread.

Urban Dictionary: Sopered

Nuff said...

I dry mine by running warm air (at least 75-80*F) over them with fans and stirring frequently - it takes a day or two sometimes, but if you stir often and your air flow is high enough, they won't sour. I then toss the dried grains into my blender, tip it at a 45* angle, and blend it on the highest setting for 10 seconds or so. The result is a wonderful whole-grain flour that usually carries a nutty flavor (although it varies by the beer batch, of course). The first few batches'-worth I stored in the freezer, but I've started storing them in ziplocs on the shelf and it's holding up well (I let the flour dry on a pan again before bagging it).

The beer-grain flour is a great addition to breadings, as a thickener in stews, etc.

For an easy bread recipe that pairs great with beer and cheese:

Add 2 tsp bread yeast to 1 cup warm water with a few drops of olive oil.
Allow to sit 10 min. Add 1 Tbsp sugar.
Allow to sit 5 min. until yeast is fully blooming.
Add 3 cups white flour, 1 Tbsp flax seed, 1/4-1/3 cup oil, 1.5 Tbsp sugar, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and 1/4 cup beer grain flour (see above post).
Toss in bread machine and cook on "whole grain" setting.
Or knead for a while, rise until doubled (45-60min) in greased pan. Bake at 375 until golden brown and stick comes out clean (~30 min).

The flour shelves for so long that it easily keeps until any beer matures. And what better bread to pair with a beer than one featuring the very grains that went into that beer, in the same proportions!

I've also added raisins, frozen blueberries crushed nuts, various spices, etc. with great success.

Throw the grain in your trash can. It's better than almost any other garbage you put in there. Or make thousands of pounds of dog treats, bread and granola each year.

How about split the difference between composting and cooking? Grow your own mushrooms on your spent grain.

Fungi Perfecti: ready to grow mushroom kits

Grain is what they use to propagate the fungi, so you could easily grow several kinds of gourmet or medicinal mushrooms with all the spent grain you produce. I am going to go this route with much of my spent grain.

Latest posts

Back