additives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timotb

Reaction score
I got 18 bushels of red delicious, golden delicious and jonathon apples this year for making hard cider. I not happy with this mix, but have to make due. I added 2 tsp per 5 gallons of power tannins and 5 lbs sugar. BG 1.08

I plan to add white oak chips for flavor after fermenting and stop at 1.01 to 1.00.

Can anyone think of any other additives I might need to beef up the flavor?

I got 18 bushels of red delicious, golden delicious and jonathon apples this year for making hard cider. I not happy with this mix, but have to make due. I added 2 tsp per 5 gallons of power tannins and 5 lbs sugar. BG 1.08

I plan to add white oak chips for flavor after fermenting and stop at 1.01 to 1.00.

Can anyone think of any other additives I might need to beef up the flavor?

That sure seems like a LOT of tannin to me. If you've used that much before with good results, then that's good. But I usually use less than 1 teaspoon for 5 gallons- most often 1/4 teaspoon, but sometimes up to 1/2 teaspoon.

I'd consider some acid blend to give more flavor to this mixture- acid blend is great for "flabby" tasting cider and gives it a bite and acid balance that really is nice.

Yooper is right about the tannin, I made that mistake myself once & the end product was undrinkable. As for other things to add...

You could always try a stick of cinnamon, or an once or 2 of mollasses; I like to add caraway seed, it goes very well with apple. If you do use spices, avoid the powdered type, they make a mess & you cannot remove them without filtering & that's a hassle.

I use a hop sack or a grain bag (trimmed to fit) to contain my whole/cracked spices, that way I can remove them when the desired flavour profile has been reached.
Regards, GF.

The manufacturer, LD Carlson say on the back of the Tannin bottle:

"Recommended use as follows: 1/2 tsp/U.S.gal. for fruit wine must. Contains Chestnut Extract (Castanea sativa)"

I calculated based on that recommendation it would be 2.5 tsps for 5 gallons. I cut it short and did only 2tsp/ 5 gallons thinking this was alot.

I know, I asked. I appreciate the conflicting opinions.

Back