Mineral Addition??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just pitched my yeast in my first brew. It's a Coopers DIY Kit Lager. I remember once someone saying that rather than use the water in my community it is better to go to the local grocery store and use their Reverse Osmosis water. That's what I did.

Now, reading a book, I'm concerned that I may need to add some minerals as the RO takes those ions out.

I need help here. One thing I read is that Extract brews are not as picky as all grain brews with regard to minerals. AG really wants them.

So, here I am.. happily waiting for the yeast to start showing a head.. and in a quandary. Do I need to add the minerals? If so, and I go to a LHBS and buy a packet.. or whatever it comes in.. how much do I use? I'm currently brewing 23 Liters of Coopers Lager using the canned extract.

If you concur that I need them, is it too late to add, or.. can I add to a pot, boil it up with a pint of so of tap water and mix into the batch after it cools a bit?

Thanks for any help.

Unimportant .The yeast have what it needs in the extract malt.You can use distilled with extract. Its fine and will make beer. What temp do you have it at now? That is what is important, also what yeast did you use??

Thanks.. the temp is currently at 22*C. I'm told I want it ~18-20*. The yeast is Coopers. Came with the kit. I understand it is part lager and part ale yeast.

BTW, I did a search on this topic and there is a TON of info out there for AG and PG brews.. In my case it is liquid extract.. so, as a newbie.. I didn't know how to apply any of that material.

Back