Choice of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm just about to make myself a 5L batch of cyser using coppela apple juice/cider and 2.2 lb orange blossom honey. All I'm missing as far as I can tell is yeast which I have just ordered but I wasnt sure what would work best so I've gone for a pack of Nottingham and a pack of s-04, any opinions as to which would work best? I also have some d47 if people think that would work better.

I am getting ready to start a new batch(s) of cider and thought it may be interesting to try either a hefe or belgian yeast...

maybe a bit too crazy

IMHO, S04 works better than Notty for cysers. Wy3333 goes great with orange blossom honey, as does Wy1010, although the Wy1010 tends to be a little stinky during the ferment. Hefe yeasts generally work well with cider, belgians are a bit more hit or miss. YMMV

Set this one up just now, ended up using the s-04, OG was high at about 1.112, just have to wait a few hours to see if the yeast takes to it!

I've used S-05 for two batches and the only problem I can say is that the crauzen is crazy! Just did another batch of Brandon O's this time with S-04 and for some reason, almost not crauzen. I'm wondering if that could be because I forgot to add yeast nutrient? Added some nutrient last night after checking the gravity. Its been going a bit less than a week.

S-05 did a great job with my last batch of Brandon O's (not the one described above), OG 1.061, FG 1.001.

Yeast has deffinatly taken! Have been opening it up and giving it a stir every few hours to break up all the foam a bit, should have left more head space!
Expecting it to blow out the top over night at this rate but fingers crossed it manages to stay down!

I've used S-05 for two batches and the only problem I can say is that the crauzen is crazy! Just did another batch of Brandon O's this time with S-04 and for some reason, almost not crauzen. I'm wondering if that could be because I forgot to add yeast nutrient? Added some nutrient last night after checking the gravity. Its been going a bit less than a week.

S-05 did a great job with my last batch of Brandon O's (not the one described above), OG 1.061, FG 1.001.

I did a whole pack of s05 in a 1gallon whole foods juice + nutrients and got pretty much no krausen. So could be?

Back