Cleaning the Dip Tube of a Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redalert

Reaction score
Is there any way to clean a Dip tube without unscrewing it? Do you think I can safely rack a new beer into the corny without cleaning the Dip tube?

Maybe I'm playing with fire but in 2 years I've had zero issues...

I rinse and oxy-clean my kegs after each use. I use the newer Bodenstatz technique. Once a year I remove the dip tube and do a deep cleaning. But each time I flush the dip tube during the cleaning process.

Since they are cleaned, dried, sanitized by pushing the cleaner/sanitizer to the next keg with CO2, I'm pretty certain I'm clean. The kegs are stored with CO2 at serving pressure.

To fill the kegs, with spigots on all my fermenters, I connect via the liquid out fitting and fill by venting the gas in fitting.

I think your fine...

I don't disassemble my kegs every time I refill them but if they have been sitting around dry I would for sure. If they are still under pressure and therefore wet inside, I clean them with recirculating oxy and then sanitizer.

I disassemble mine when it's cleaned. It takes about 5 minutes.

I guess my (rhetorical) question is this- When you were bottling, did you clean the bottles before refilling? If so, why would you not clean the keg? (and the diptubes and poppits are part of the inside of the keg)

You're probably fine not doing it, but I've taken them apart and been shocked (shocked, I say!) at the amount of crud in the poppits and in the diptube.

I'm with Yooper as I take them apart and clean each time. I also have a diptube brush which cleans the inside of the tube.

It takes 30 seconds to remove the dip tube. And if their cut down like mine are, they will fit under the lid. Then I just fill with hot water and oxyclean.

If your lazy, fill with hot water and cleaner, put lid on, and hit it with a little co2, then GENTLY depress the poppit, it will fill with cleaner. Just remember to depress the poppit when emptying, it will hold liquid when the kegs drained.

If we are taking a poll, I take it all apart and reassemble each time I fill, just to be safe!

I fill my corny with HOT PBW solution and push it through the dip tube, let sit for 30 minutes or so and then rinse and sanitize with Star San before refilling. I also push the Star San through. About once a year I disassemble everything but find no crud or residue.

GT

Back