Other hobbies besides brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading the guys thread about building his new brew shed in the DIY section. It got me to thinking about all of the different hobbies I have had and how my wife has put up with all of it without a word.........I learned to walk dragging a guitar around, so that hobby has been with me forever. Since we have been married I have went through stages where I would have 6-7 guitars at once. Including some expensive ones. Then I would have none, then go buy more........
Then I got really involved in hunting with terriers. I got so involved I became a judge with the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America, and built 8 very expensive kennels,I was so into it I was hunting 6-7 days a week for a long while, even missing work to go hunting. still have the dogs but hunt them very little anymore.......
Then I got into American bulldogs and doing hog catching and bite work. Payed a grand for a puppy( still have him years later ) and bought a few others that were no good. lost interest in all of that............
Then I got into weight lifting and nutrition filled my shed with equipment. Dropped 96 pounds and was in very good shape. Hurt my back and have a shed full of dust covered weights and power rack etc....oh yeah I am fat again too.............
At the same time I got into the wights I discovered judo and ju jitsu. Earned my brown belt in judo, fought a tourney and won it...Got really good and was really enjoying it until the back injury...Now I have gis that don't fit and haven't been on a mat in a year or more.........
Got really into handguns ( concealed carry license) and collecting them. Had 32 handguns at one time along with rifles and shotguns. was shooting all the time and suddenly now I have my carry gun and a 22 rifle.....everything else has been sold or given away..............
Then I got really into bow shooting a couple of years ago. Discovered I have a natural knack for it. bought 3 expensive bows joined a target league and went for the new guy to a #1 team shooter.....average 300 with 48 X's . Did that for one season ( this was a relapse from years back when I got into bow hunting and killed a pope and young buck my third day ever hunting) went bow hunting last year and killed a nice doe. After spending all of that money I haven't picked up my target or hunting bow in months.......
Now I am into the brewing. Carboys and fermenting buckets setting everywhere....bottles and equipment...through all of this stuff my wife has jumped right in to help with whjatever I am doing. I think she must be mother teresa reincarnated sometimes...others though not so much lol.....
What hobbies are you guys into other than brewing? And are your wives supportive of it or just tolerant?

congrats... you are a guy!

lol all of us have hobbies, I have had my fair share of hobbies I think thats what being a guy is all about... I have owned several dirtbikes, quads, boats, lifted jeeps, vintage jeeps, trucks, guns, paintball guns, bikes, fishing stuff... and now homebrewing. way more just cant think of at the moment... but you get the point! the wife has learned to deal with it..... somewhat lol.

playing the bass guitar, professional dj, music production,

was huge into mountain biking and cycling as a teenager

currently teaching myself to play the piano

Fishing Hunting/ Gun collecting 18 so far, wood working, Beerstein collecting, leather carving, play guitar drums and fiddle. oh yeah and brewing.

Man my wife thinks I have too many hobbies.
Archery-longbows
Hunting/bowhunting/fishing/ice fishing/building food plots
Woodwork/building longbows
building trail cameras (oddly enough they refer to building your own trail cameras as homebrews)
Grilling/smoking
Butchering/sausage making
Making beer
Trapping beavers
Computers/overclocking/gaming
Poker
Needless to say there isn't a lot of spare time.

Saltwater aquarium, fishing and crabbing, shooting, mountain biking, photography (mostly as a result of hunting and fishing), and diesel trucks. Brewing is the least expensive I would say.

Long live "Traditional Bowhunter", "Primitive Archer", and home brewing.

trad archery has to be the most addicting thing I have ever exposed myself too. The drive to try all the different beers in the world is the same as the drive to shoot every longbow possible. I shoot leftys so usually if I really want to try one I need to buy it first.

oh, lets see.

Hunt/fish
sausage making
wood working
flyfishing
boating
snowboarding
hockey coaching
dog training
baby making (really fun :) )
beer brewing
science teaching

seems like there should be more, SWMBO always smiles and tells me to have fun.

i have a lot less hobbies than all of you, but i also don't have a SWMBO...
i wonder if there's a corellation there....
could also be the wallet size, though.

right now it's just homebrew and wrenching around on the car (nothing fancy, just fixing issues on my car as they come up and helping friends with theirs)

Hmmm astronomy (build my own scopes), chess (USCF ranked Expert), about a half dozen that I've dropped over the years.

I have too many to keep up with. Heres the short list:
Gym
Motorcycling
Video Games
Reading
Guns
Fishing
Camping
Gardening

The wife is cool with all of them although they are not really her thing.

More than a few hobbies here.

Computers
Amateur Radio
Electronics Repair
Brewing
Welding
Canning
Cooking
Photography
Dumpster Diving

Former hobbies:

Running, mountain biking, building computers for gamers and video editors, baseball, softball, rock climbing, speed rappelling, trading music online, collecting movies, books

Current hobbies:

Brewing!!!(on 1st batch), snowboarding (60+ days/yr), backcountry snowboarding (BIG difference), getting back into running, hiking, camping, astronomy (12" Dobsonian), reading science news (every day), movies, felling cutting and chopping wood (heat home with wood burning stove), driving my WRX like a man possessed......

Planned hobbies:

Mad Scientist

Scuba Diving
Music (listening not playing)
Motorcycle rides (currently without bike.... money went for brew equipment :D)
Movies
Computers

Programming
MMORPGs
Paintball
Film Making
Brewing Beer <--newest

These are just the ones I have today. Tomorrow always brings new hobbies.

Photography, computers/technology (I'm in the IT field), cooking, shooting (when I can), video games and a few more that I'm not going to post about. :eek:

Right now my main two are disc golf and brewing. Just getting into smoking (meat). Before brewing was dirtbikes and I plan on starting that back up with my boy in a couple years. Before that was paintball. I played for Ohio University before they became the #1 team in the NCPA. I did paintball for about 5 years pretty heavy. Now I have two higher end electro guns along with packs and masks and blah blah blah sitting in the garage. I'd like to dabble a little more in woodworking someday when i have a larger garage and more expendable money.

I have completely ignored my beer as I build an indoor garden for my wife. New DIY projects around every corner. It's been a lot of fun.

Haven't brewed in 3-4 weeks, kicked my last keg of Pale on Friday night and have 30 gallons ready or about to be ready to keg in the closet. I really need to take care of some of that tonight.

way too much!
I Do IT for a living so of course, Computers!
I Collect gaming systems and games (parents met working at imagic, so it's been since birth haha, have about 300+ games on 12 or so systems, and variations on each system)
Home theater stuff, had just bought a projector and i have a 7.1 surround sound to go with it.
car audio, and of course BREWING and drinking craft beers :)
Photography is a big one.
All in all nerding out is always fun and exciting :)
love some body art as well, but i'm usually too broke for any

I'm a gardener.

I have my hot peppers, sweet peppers, onions, celery, and parsely all under the lights right now. I also started an heirloom tomato, a chocolate variety, which I am going to grow in a pot. I have another 16 or 17 varieties of heirloom tomatoes to do this year as well. I've always done hybrids in the past, but want to start saving seeds for myself.

I was also looking at planting some fruit trees and training them espalier along my fence. Maybe I'll try a few indoor citrus trees too (too cold outside here in Ontario for them). I saw a couple mini orange and lemon tree's online which fruit well inside and would be pretty cool to harvest off them in the dead of winter.

I was considering doing some hops as well, but with limited garden space, I think I may just buy them so I know what the AA% is and whatnot, and conserve garden area for food the wife and kids will eat too.

First, it was enjoyable to read through parts of this thread.

I've been on a mission to become as self sufficient as possible so my main hobby the last few years has been gardening. On top of all the berries and chestnut, I'll be putting in a number of fruit (apricot, plum, nectarine) and a few hazelnut, pecan and walnut trees either this spring or this fall. I'm a beekeeper that had his first harvest of 50-60 lb last year, which promptly made me a meadmaker :) Just tried the 9 month blueberry melomel that was shockingly good. Brewing has been a great hobby the last 1.5 years, especially in the winter when other hobbies slow.

I absolutely love saltwater fishing (shrimping, crabbing, etc), which is my main non-brew hobby. Try to go twice a month in the summer, but go often in the late spring and fall. We usually catch a ton of mahi in the spring and bottom fish in the fall, which provides year round eats.

Swimming is my health outlet/hobby. I love to turn on the underwater earphones and jam out while swimming my laps after work. Such a great high after a strong swim.

Golfing... Started back up a year ago after being briefly interested in college.

Surfing and snowboarding. Don't surf more than a few times a year, but love to head down to the coast and catch a nice hurricane swell. Snowboarding is a more recent hobby, but only get 2-3 chances a year.

bout it for current hobbies...

I am in Alaska so Fishing is #1. We also ride 4-wheelers and dirtbikes and go on trip in our Motorhome.

I've had a ton. (I'll skip the many false starts). It started at about 5 years old...

Computers & Programming (PCjr at 5) - legitimately this has continued to today through school & work.

Swimming (though do sports count?) from ~10 through high school.

Ham Radio from 6th grade and lasted through high school.

I don't think anything new started in college... but shortly after I became interested in the game Go (something I'd found in passing during high school). It's a game in the Chess genre and I reached 1-dan (middling strong amateur).

Cooking, a practical hobby as I am the house cook, not my wife.

Photography - started when my son was born. I'm not uninterested, but Grad school put a damper on all my hobbies about 3 years ago. Go has stalled out (maybe I'll pick it up or play recreationally). Photography has stalled but I'm certain it will come back this summer when the 3rd kid comes.

And since I've gotten a bit burned out (my thesis is now, finally, nearly complete!) I've been on the hunt again... my father had given me a carboy a couple years ago, so I made a batch of wine (bulk aging). I bought a second carboy and was given a third... plus a few plastic buckets brings me here, a couple of batches of wine aging and one batch of beer (Midwest's copper ale kit) that just finished primary. I like to make things and learn things, so I've got lots to keep me busy now. I also like that home brewing doesn't take up 100% of my time... I've been making great progress on that thesis lately!

I go crazy for my hobbies, right now #1 is brewing. About a year ago i bought a 1974 toyota landcruiser fj40 for hunting, and have spent a ton of time and money fixing it up. My other huge hobby when the time of year comes is elk hunting, bow and rifle. Elk hunting is almost all i think about. First i wouldnt be satisfied until i killed a bull elk. 2 years ago i got a 4x4 bull with my rifle. Now it has to be a 6x6, then im sure it will have to be a bull with my bow, then a 6x6 with my bow. It never ends, elk hunting, like brewing, is a total obsession.

As long as im brewing and hunting elk in my fj40, IM A HAPPY MAN!

I wouldnt say my wife is totally supportive, but she doesnt mind.

dmcoats,

My other hobby is fishing, so I'm envious of you living in Alaska. I'm coming up to Seward in June with my daughter to fish, so I'm excited for summer.

NRS

Past: R/C glider, rocketry, high-power rocketry, Avalon Hill games, playing video games, programming video games, reading sci-fi, 2-dozen box Linux network/Beowulf made of old junk, growing hops

Future (hopefully): photography, woodworking, being a better cook, painting, back to high-power rocketry, back to playing and writing computer games, robotics, writing books, growing hops

Present: bass guitar, electric guitar, keyboards, drums, recording music, progressive rock connoisseur, drag racing, working on cars, gardening, electronics, BBQ/smoker, cooking in general, brewing of course, appreciating Scotch and whiskey in general, programming

I'd love to retire- I'd never be bored. But with no income, a few of those hobbies would have to go...

I don't consider my wife a hobby, but she is definitely the most important - and without her I doubt I'd feel like doing any of the above.

Ride motorcross with my son.

Motorcycles. Used to drag race motorcycles but that got too expensive.

Some hunting. Would like it to be a lot more hunting.

Just started photography.

Gardening. Grew up in rural Ohio where we grew what we ate. Now live in Houston and miss the fresh produce. Trying to get back to that but I'm having a bit of a learning curve when it come to gardening in this Houston heat.

I build custom high-end gaming computers and sell them on Craigslist. It's just a hobby that also gives me some disposable income so the wife doesn't complain about how much I'm spending on brewing supplies and video games.

My den has computer parts (and now brewing supplies) all over it, but it's my domain so she pretty much leaves it alone. I currently have 4 computers in there along with 2 cases of stout bottle conditioning and 1.5 cases of brown ale in my beer fridge.

My wife actually helps out with the brewing. She helps with the transfers and likes working the bottle capper. I'm going to make her a wheat beer or hard cider this summer to say "thanks".

dmcoats,

My other hobby is fishing, so I'm envious of you living in Alaska. I'm coming up to Seward in June with my daughter to fish, so I'm excited for summer.

NRS

You will have fun. I Fish in Seward some. I mainly fish out of Homer or Deep Creek. I do love to go Shrimping out of Whittier also.

Improv comedy, Photography, Geocaching, learning more about home improvement/building stuff...

Improv comedy is probably the most stressful and difficult thing I've ever done hobby-wise in my life but it is definitely without a question the most rewarding. I consider it only a hobby and not a passion yet, simply because I am no expert and I don't want to take anything away from those who are experts and have been making people laugh in improv and stand-up for years.

Hunting, fishing, camping, gun collecting, wrenching, welding, photography, gardening, shooting sports, reloading, leather working, aviation, brewing....... SWMBO sometimes gets a little pissy but overall takes it pretty well.

I ride and race motorcycles (1000rr), waterfowl hunt and all other hunting, fishing, garden, run, workout (insanity, P90X), weight lift, and F*&K alot

Back