Brewing my first SMaSH tomorrow...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffro

Reaction score
I'm going a whole different route from my normal overly hopped 2 row pale ales this time.

I bought 11 Lbs of Gamrinous Pils Malt, and 2 Oz of Mt Rainier 4.7 pellets. I'm figuring on doing a single infusion mash in the low 150's at a rate of 1.5 Qts/Lb. Then batch sparge with 170* water until I collect 6.5 gallons. Do a normal 60 minute boil and use the 1 Oz at 60, .5 Oz at 30, .25 Oz at 15, and .5 Oz at 5 minutes hop schedule.

Then I'm going to cool it and pitch it on the yeast cake from last weeks brew. Last weeks brew was a slight variation of Ed's Haus Pale that I used Wyeast NW Pale Ale yeast on.

I'm going to turn down the heat in my fermentation chamber to 62* and just let it sit until the gravity drops into the mid teens. May take awhile, may not... I dunno... They yeast profile says it can work as low as 65* and I'm hoping to kind of press the envelope in that regard.

So, Basically, I'm trying to brew a lager at ale fermentation temps and using ale yeast. Once fermentation is completed I will definitly be lagering the keg I rack it to. This will be a summer beer.

Since you're using Pils malt you may want to do a 90 min. boil. I'm not familiar with Mt. Rainer hops are they similar to anything?

Since you're using Pils malt you may want to do a 90 min. boil. I'm not familiar with Mt. Rainer hops are they similar to anything?

They are a strain of Halertauer from my understanding.

What's the advantage of a 90 minute boil?

Maybe Mt. Hood? From BeerAlchemy:
Mount Hood is generally perceived as an aroma variety with similar characteristics to the German Hallertauer Mittlefruh and Hersbrucker varieties. The cones contain a moderate amount of lupulin that is yellow in colour. The aroma is generally pleasant, mild and herbal. In British style ales the flavour comes through as delicate, floral and slightly herbal

OBTW, there's a Group for SMaSH brewers. Join the party.:mug:

2 Oz of Mt Rainier ..... 1 Oz at 60, .5 Oz at 30, .25 Oz at 15, and .5 Oz at 5 minutes hop schedule.

I just caught this. You either need to buy more hops, or cut your 5 minute addition to .25 oz. The hop schedule you listed has more than 2 ozs. Its probably just a typo but i just wanted to give you a heads up. :mug:

Well... The boil is going now. This stuff is going to be WAY lighter color than I was expecting. Looks like watered down lemonade!

Oh well... The beer from the yeast cake has a nice amber color to it, so hopefully that'll darken it up a bit. I got 1.052 OG pre boil out of 11 Lbs of Pils Malt. About 8 points higher than I was expecting, but that's OK.

dunno if it s too late, but the comment on the 90minute boil for pilsen malt is one I've seen many times on here with no arguments against it. I would definitely do the 90 minute boil for the DMS reasoning

I am doing 90 minutes.

There sure is alot of chunks of white stuff floating around in there. What is that?

Latest posts

Back