"racking" my brain - DIY rotating rack arm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I cannot find any info on DIY - or even to purchase - a rotating rack arm kit. The idea is for a Sanke fermenter. Zymico no longer sells the Konical Kitz thing. Any suggestions ?

based on that link, I think I can do it. One major problem - cost. Not including labor (free if I DIY) I am looking at about 80$
clamp - 7-8$
end cap 4$
1/2" MPT to 1.5" TC adapter x 2 32$
gasket 2$
SS Ball valve 25$.

Might be a fun project, but I could end up doing better if I leave the Sanke as is and use CO2 to push in and out through the top.

I would go for a stationary sparge arm if I were you. KISS FTW

Sorry, I hate it when people don't actually answer the question.... I think it will be cost prohibitive to DIY int his case. If you really want a rotating arm, I believe purchase it your best option.

Why not go with a linear racking arm out the top and push with CO2? A compression fitting with an o-ring replacing the sleeve works great and allows you to slide a racking cane up and down.

I used to do something similar when I fermented in cornies.

a lot of people use the carboy caps over the flange at the top of the sanke. Put a racking cane just above the yeast, and push co2 in the other. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezie....

both of the two last ideas sound good to me. Part of the obsession with this hobby seems to be the allure of a solution chasing a problem. I love sketching out ideas on napkins and such....

Apparently I was an idiot last year. My evil and much less good looking twin made the above post.

"evil and much less good looking"~!!!???
MUCH LESS???!!!?!?!?!?!@#$%^%$#@#@#!@#$@#$@#$@#$%

Well anyway it's an option.
A Dishwasher type Ceramic to Ceramic seal - the ones they use for motor shafts might work also.
So too is an O ring pass through. Any one with a lathe can make on in about an hour. Hell I got the tool bits to cut most O ring profiles.

There's a few ways to skin that gopher

Here is a couple of shots of what I use in the side of my sanke. Takes a 1 1/2 half tri welded to keg. Just loosen the clamp and rotate.

MVC-054S.jpg

MVC-053S.jpg

This is using a I-line cap and clamp to regular 1 1/2 tri cap. The I line is thicker. But a regular cap will also work. High tech showing the up of the cane.

Dominus Vobiscum
Swagman:cool:

very nice.

What exactly does a racking arm that rotates do for you?
I'm thinking that you gotta be watching a clear hose to tell if you are sucking beer ot yeast.
Is that about right?

So the rotating arm saves you what maybe a few bottles worth?

If that's the case I can see why people are loath to spend a hundred bucks on it.

Latest posts

Back