Unpasteurized Beer in the New York Times??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendelgee2

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
This article in the Times the other day had me scratching my head:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/dining/07wine.html?_r=1&ref=dining

It talks about "Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien, an unfiltered, unpasteurized, limited-edition ale brewed by Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes in Switzerland."

Does anyone know this beer? If so, how the heck can it be "unpasteurized"? Isn't the entire brewing process pasteurization? If you do ferment an unboiled wort (which would ultimately result in a sour beer, if I'm not mistaken), how do you get any bitterness into the beer? Wouldn't this be a ridiculously cloying 0 IBU brew?? Is there something about the "bugs" in an unpasteurized wort or in what they pitch that would make this drinkable?

I'm so confused.

It is not pasteurized AFTER fermentation, meaning it has live yeast (and whatever else) when it was bottled.

Yup, all your beer is unpasteurized, while most commercial beers are, and filtered aswell...

FWIW the killing of any microorganisms in the boil would be a form of sterilization not pasteurization which doesn't use quite as much heat.

No it's the "au naturele" yuppified, politically correct organic granola eating sounding way of saying "bottle conditioned." :D

Kinda like a Palmetto Bug is just a hoiti toiti West Palm Beach way of saying cockroach.

:D

Back