Using a commercial (sanke) keg to clean lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzzizzit

Reaction score
I was getting ready to clean my beer line for my "comercial" keg setup when an idea struck me. What if i purged the empty 1/4 barrel, then poured about a gallon or so of cleaning solution into it, then conected it back to my system and used co2 to push it threw the line?

My concern is, would returning a keg used like this lead to some other beer lover getting a "contaminated" 1/4 barrel when it's reused or do the breweries wash them out well enough that this wouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Is this a viable shortcut? Is it ethical? Am i missing something?

Thanks,

Guz

Get a homebrew keg and don't worry about it. They're not too expensive and will save you headaches when it comes to cleaning lines.

They clean them out well enough that the sanitizer shouldn't be a problem. The do have to meet pretty stringent standards for food prep rules.

Use StarSan it it's not a problem at all.

Back