Accuracy of adhesive thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew hoperator

Reaction score
I am doing my first home brew and the kit i purchased had an adhesive thermometer. I placed the wort into the carboy and several hours later the thermometer still did not show a reading but the carboy was definitely room temp.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this type or any other type of thermometers?

Thanks!

I assume that they are 2-3 degrees off, ans I can usually tell which way(ie. if they are in a hot room with a cool carboy, etc.)

I love them. They are precise enough to tell me if there is really a problem. And they are cheap!

Usually 2 degrees lower than a sample...

try to avoid getting the strips wet. They don't work once submerged in water for a period. I recommend leaving the back paper on it and just using a piece of tape to adhere it to your fermenter.

A few years back I had the same question an tested it by adding warm water to a carboy. The temp difference between room and water was about 10 *F and the thermometer was correctly showing the interior temp. This has to do with the fact that glass is a much better heat conductor than air.

Kai

Latest posts

Back