Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildlife1

Reaction score
Have a quick question, fellow mead makers.
If I make a cyser recipe and change out the apple cider
and swap in cherry cider is it still a cyser ?:confused:

Just to stir the pot a little. Using the ligic that any fruit crushed and loosly strained is a cider if you make a mead with cut up apples and or apple juice rather than cider. Is it then a melomel ir do we want to calls those Cysers?

I'd call it a cyser, but that's just me.

Perrys
Pyments
Cysers
and all those other fruit specific meads are all just sub-genres of melomel in my book. I don't think anyone would call you a liar for calling a mead with 4 pounds of apples and 2.5 lbs of honey a cyser by any means.

I'd call it a cyser, but that's just me.

Perrys
Pyments
Cysers
and all those other fruit specific meads are all just sub-genres of melomel in my book. I don't think anyone would call you a liar for calling a mead with 4 pounds of apples and 2.5 lbs of honey a cyser by any means.

Rgr That!
As long as it taste good and goes down smooth!
:mug:

I thought in order for Cherries to be a Cyser it would have to be mixed WITH Apples...If the Cherries are the sole fruit then It would be called a melomel?
:confused:

Actually I'm not sure on that. I have a friend borrowing my Compleat Meadmaker, can anyone check the mead types part and see what cyser is? Or I could Tweet the man himself.

Actually I'm not sure on that. I have a friend borrowing my Compleat Meadmaker, can anyone check the mead types part and see what cyser is? Or I could Tweet the man himself.
Page 51 of the Making your Own Mead Book.
Cyser: Adding Honey to Apple Juice.

No other Fruit is mentioned...Just Apples and honey.

Back