What would happen if i made a beer entirely from Special B?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
My homebrewing software tells me special B is the prime sorce of the delicious caramelly flavor in belgian beer. It also tells me that if i made a 5 gallon batch solely using it - about 10 lbs or so - it would also be darker than satan's hemorroids. Not really a serious question, but what would I create? A delicous foamy caramel nectar of the gods or just ****?

And another totally unrelated question: what is the point of putting different batches of the SAME hop into a boil at different times?

I've never used it (Special B) in anything I have made. Be the 1st for creating a new style.

I bet it has alot of unfermentable sugars, Who knows. Worst thing going you can use use it as a waffle topping when you're half in the bag. It actually might be good. :drunk:

I am amused by your proposition. All else, it might be a good light beer mixer.

Call it a BMC fixer. Like a Red Bull. Special B and BMC. Beer with flavor. :rockin:

Seriously, it might be pretty good. Try it out on a pale male extract.

Your hopping question graduates the hop bittering to aroma and flavor. Later additions are less bitter and more hop flavored. The smell of that specific hop will be the nose of your brew at the pour and the first few drinks.

If you like balanced beer, not too bitter, you'll like late hop additions. Great smell and flavor w/o the pucking bitterness!

I don't think Special B has any enzymes to convert starch to sugar... and at that amount it would probably taste like satans hemmroids too... You gotta have some kind of balance.

Second question. Each hop has different bittering characters, flavor, and aroma too. So when you boil fuggles (for instance) at 60 you get a nice bittering, when you put it in at 30 you get a nice earthy flavor, when you put it in at 5 you get nice english ale aroma... Different amounts also come into play.

Special B has no enzymes for conversion, but you'd get about 1/2 the sugars just by steeping. Palmer claims it gives a plum-like flavor when more than 1/2lb is used in 5 gallons. So, an all Special B brew would be a lot like alcoholic prune juice.

Back