Funky taste.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taekwondd

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I set out to brew another batch of Edworts Bee Cave Kolsch, since the first 10 gallons I made disappeared so quickly. Ordered my stuff from Midwest but couldn't find the option to send an ice pack with my yeast. When it arrived the yeast was super warm. I made a starter to see if it was still good and after 2 days of no activity I motored down to the LHBS and picked up another vial of WLP029 and pitched it into the same starter(I believe this was my mistake). After brewing, I pitched S05 into 5 gallons and the starter in the other 5 gallons. The half with the S05 turned out good but the other half has this rubber taste, almost like a garden hose taste. Did pitching that starter that had the dead yeast give my beer that funky rubber taste? Thanks for any input!

It could very well be yeast autolysis which can have a beefy, bullion, or rubbery taste to it. These off flavors get into the beer when the cell membrane of the yeast bursts releasing off flavors into your beer.

You could try waiting a week or two to see if it goes away if you have the space... But from what you're describing, I think you'll have to chalk this one up to "lesson learned" and dump it. At least you split it into (2) 5 gallon batches.

That's what I figured, I've got it carbing in the keg now, but I don't hold out much hope for it. School of hard knocks is in session :(

Back