Question about Cider Kits/Can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nescent

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have been a reader for a few weeks and decided to dive into the exciting world of cider making. As I said, I've been reading a bit but discovered that I have a question/issue to ask.

I am trying the gentle approach, I am doing cider from a prepared kit/can. I've loaded up my 1kg of dextrose, I've poured in the can and topped upto 23L mark with water like the can says to do, except the last liter I've added 1L of Apple Juice concentrate at the clerks personal recomendation. He also gave me a package of champagne yeast to add to the cider.

Now that I am ready to add the yeast I noticed that the yeast that came with the kit is a 7g package, but the yeast the clerk gave me from their fridge is a 25g package.

The question is... how much yeast do I put in? Is the 7g of champagne yeast I put in enough, or should I put in the other 18g? Will it make a difference as the yeast's primary purpose right now is to multiple to keep any other wild yeasts from somehow sneaking in and breading. I am afraid if I add more yeast I might ruin the taste somehow, but on the same hand I am afraid it might not 'cider'ize.

yep, unless you are going to start something else soon in which case you can use half, seal and fridge the other half

Back