Max time for diacetyl rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_

Reaction score
Do any of you know if there is max amount of time that you should raise the temp on a lager for a diacetyl rest? I was thinking of letting an ale go through primary while my lager was going through a rest since the temps would be pretty much ideal for both but I'm not sure if the one to two weeks is too long for the lager.

Any help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't be comfortable doing a D-rest that long, but I'm particular about my lagers. I would at least transfer it to the lagering vessel after the normal timeframe (2-3 days) to get it off the yeast. Increased temperatures can accelerate yeast cell decay, potentially causing off-flavors.

I did Mutilated1's bitburger clone, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f58/cats-bitburger-premium-pilsner-100625/, and was not super careful about checking hydro readings. After 1.5 weeks it was down to 1.012. I tasted the sample and did not notice any off flavors related to Diacetyl but I did a rest on Tuesday morning and I am going to secondary it tonight and start lagering. Is it possible for off flavors to develop when lagering or am I pretty much good to go?

Is it possible for off flavors to develop when lagering or am I pretty much good to go?

It's unlikely, but there are a couple possibilities. Diacetyl can develop if oxygen is introduced, such as from splashing during transfer. The other possibility is a developing infection. So, stay sanitary and transfer the beer "quietly" and you should be good to go.

Back