First in house AG!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillHayze

Reaction score
So tonight marks the night of my first in house AG. On the old stove to boot! I have done some testing and found I *can* boil about 7.5 gallons split into 2 pots and still have room for hotbreak expansion. Also FWH cuts down on this. I began about 7:30 and I'll be lucky to be done by 1am I figure. German Rye Ale it will be!

Sparged a little extra and needed to use 3 pots. Awesome. It's like 100 degrees in the house.

Good luck man, the way the weather is turning I am considering going back to extracts to do inside.

Sorry I didn't give a good play by play - it was bust work watching 3 pots (later condensed to 2) and keeping track of the times on all of them boiling at different rates.

I pitched and cleaned up already. The old stove held out well I might say. Kept even the 4 galloner at a good steady boil. I actually got too much evaporation. Eff was HORRIBLE, but that is likely due to my mash. I did a single infusion with Pilsner malt for about 80 min. Sparge was good. went down from 1.070 in the first runnings to less than 1.010 in the final runnings. I aimed for 5 gal of 1.064 and got 4.5 gal of 1.050. Ouch. I'm too tired to calc the eff. maybe tomm... Got work at 6...

Recipe:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: German Rye Beer
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer:
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 14.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.4 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 15.7 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 2.0 %
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 29.5 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (15 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.75 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.94 qt of water at 168.9 F 154.0 F 60 min

Notes:
------
Made starter 12/19. 650ml 3/4 cup dme, 500ml water, pinch yeast nutrient, Wyeast 1007 German Ale smackpack (did not wait for it to swell) Put it on stirplate before going to bed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Night!

Actually it was about 4.5 hours. I've done another AG but that was outside on a loaner burner and keggle. I was surprised how my stove kept up this time.

I don't have beersmith to calc the eff. for me but it looks like I came out around 60% using pencil and paper. My last AG was mostly American Pale malt using the same mash schedule. The grain was from a different supplier and may have been cracked a little coarser. The lauter went really fast. The color was way darker than expected. The 4 oz of choc. wheat really darkened it a lot. It looks like a porter in the carboy.
There was a heave krausen this morning at 6 so lag time was under 6 hours.

Back