WV ABV cap raised

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owlbar

Reaction score
I'm not sure how this slipped past me, but the ABV cap on beer in WV was raised from 6% to 12% on July 1!

As soon as I found out I went to Slight Indulgence in Morgantown and bought some Harpoon IIPA, Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout, Great Lakes Oktoberfest and Elliot Ness, Ayinger Celabrator and Rochefort 8 and 10.

I drank the IIPA and Elliot Ness last night. I'm not a huge fan of super hoppy beers but I liked the IIPA a lot, so I may yet become one. I think I'll try the Imperial Stout tonight (awesome!). I may let the Rochefort age in my basement for a while before drinking. Any thoughts on this?

Anyway, I'm really glad I can get a wider variety of beers locally, even if the prices are somewhat steeper than what I've seen in other states. Anyone know of another shop in WV where I can pick up some good beers?

The cap was raised right as I was moving from Huntington to Richmond, VA. I went back to Huntington to judge a homebrew competition, and it seems like most of the businesses there still hadn't jumped on the higher ABV bandwagon yet. A shame. I always used to go to Ohio or Kentucky for good beer, and it seems the locals still have to.

Edit: This move was also around the same time Yuengling finally came to WV, so it wasn't all bad.

Its awesome they did that for us. I went to the local store to grab some beer and they finally got a limited but new selection of beer. I ended up getting a 750 mL of Rogue Barley Wine. I plan on getting Sam Adams White Ale the next time I go.

Back