Think I can grow hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdave

Reaction score
I bought a house in mid-November. The backyard is on the north side. It is in an established neighborhood with lots of tall trees. Of course, when I bought the house, the many trees had already filled the yard with leaves (so I can't know for sure what all is shaded).

I'm not sure just how much sun any given part of the back yard gets, though I imagine one corner of the back yard will get some in the afternoon.

Do I remember correctly that the plants need a lot of sun? Any hope of having some good growth?

Manhattan, Kansas

8-10 hours? Shoot, I don't know if that'll work. I think about the only place that will get that much will be at the front of the front yard by the sidewalk. I don't think that would work for a myriad of reasons.

The one corner of the back yard might work, I don't know. Maybe I'll just have to cut down the nice tree in the back yard...

I grow hops in a similar situation. I have two areas in my backyard I grow, one gets sunlight for the whole morning and some of the afternooon. The other one gets indirect light most of the day, maybe a couple of hours of direct in the morning and evening. The 3 plants in the indirect light did just as well or better than the ones against the garage that get more light. The rhizomes were healthier on that batch so that is why they did better, but I think you can grow even without a lot of direct light.

My hops get only about 4-5 hours of sunlight at the most. I plan to change the layout of my yard around within a few years to remedy this but for now it's the best I can do.

I only get about 1/4lb off several vines which sucks. Better than nothing IMO.

Yeah as mentioned earlier, you will get the plant to grow in those conditions, but you won't get the output as you would if they were in the direct sun all day. But hey a few fresh hops grown by you is better than none :)

So, I'm reading here that they'll grow just fine with 6 hours of direct sunlight, but the yield will be less, by about half?

Has anyone else like conpewter grown them in both situations simultaeanaeaously, and can give some more qualitative or allegorical data?

Back