How do I Determine Ca and Mg in my water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb239605

Reaction score
I just got my cities water report and have found no data on the Calcium levels or the Magnesium levels in the water. It does give hardness and alkalinity and chlorine but not magnesium or calcium. Anyway my question is..

How do I figure out how much calcium and magnesium is in my tap water? I want to start doing brew chemistries but with the lack of knowledge I am having trouble proceeding.

I wish that were the case. I just got off the phone with them, they said they just measure the hardness as a whole and dont know the calcium concentration or the magnesium concentration. Furthermore I kept saying magnesium and the lab tech kept talking to me about maganese instead.

Is there a self test or anything I can do (i can't afford to send it away to a private lab as I am a poor college student)?

My Utility Co. just emailed me the whole report. Maybe you could get yours to do that, rather read off specific bits? It has to be there: you just have had bad luck in who you've talked to.

In one of Bobby_M's videos on the EZ Water Spreadsheet, he mentions sending out a sample to (IIRC) Ward labs for not very much money (less than $20?). Worth watching the video anyway - track down the link in his sig!

My Utility Co. just emailed me the whole report. Maybe you could get yours to do that, rather read off specific bits? It has to be there: you just have had bad luck in who you've talked to.

In one of Bobby_M's videos on the EZ Water Spreadsheet, he mentions sending out a sample to (IIRC) Ward labs for not very much money (less than $20?). Worth watching the video anyway - track down the link in his sig!

My water company does not meaure Ca hardness at the source, only spot checks for corrosion control. Just sent my sample to Ward Labs - $16.00 (+ shipping) for all the parameters we are interested in.

Back