Pale chocolate substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
Is there a reasonable substitute for pale chocolate? Doesn't appear as if the lhbs carries it. I'm talking .5 lb in a 27.5 lb grain bill barelywine. I know I can find it online, but don't want end up paying $6 for .5 lb with shipping.

Is there a reasonable substitute for pale chocolate? Doesn't appear as if the lhbs carries it. I'm talking .5 lb in a 27.5 lb grain bill barelywine. I know I can find it online, but don't want end up paying $6 for .5 lb with shipping.

In that big of a grain bill 1/2lb isn't going to do too much... ?

1/4lb regular chocolate malt will get the aprox. color.

Or, order 5 lbs and then make the Jamil Z recipes... he uses pale chocolate in a lot of those...

To hear Jamil tell it, there is no substitute. Some people suggest just using half the amount of regular chocolate, but Jamil claims it's not the same. I dunno. 8 oz in 27.5 pounds might not seem like a lot, but I think it's one of those a-little-goes-a-long-way malts.

Do you crush your own grains? If so, I'd take MMB's advise and just buy 5# of it online and keep the rest on hand for future recipes.

I would use a 50/50 chocolate/carafa to get to the same SRM, so probably about half the 2oz each. Pale chocolate malt is pretty distinct.

To hear Jamil tell it, there is no substitute. Some people suggest just using half the amount of regular chocolate, but Jamil claims it's not the same. I dunno. 8 oz in 27.5 pounds might not seem like a lot, but I think it's one of those a-little-goes-a-long-way malts.

Do you crush your own grains? If so, I'd take MMB's advise and just buy 5# of it online and keep the rest on hand for future recipes.

I will be crushing my own soon. I think I may go a different route than pale chocolate, but 5lbs is a good idea. I'm getting my base malt for $29/50 lbs, so I don't care to overpay for 1 lb of anything.

I'm sure if you buy alot from you lhbs, they'd let you crush it there until you're able to crush.

Back