Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
I want to attempt a fly sparge vs my typical batch sparge technique. My question is at what do you begin the fly sparge water? Do you drain the mash completely, then start the sparge water or do you begin the flow of sparge water just as you begin to drain the mash?

Thanks!

IIRC, you start the sparge and then at the same time you start the run off at the same rate. Output of mash = input of sparge water.

I bring my mash tun liquid level up to (or down to) the level I want to sparge at. This is normally around 2-3 inches above the grain bed. Sometimes I have to add water to get there, sometimes I drain a little. Then I add sparge water while draining for the remainder of the sparge. It really is super easy, just drain liquid out and add liquor on top. KISS

I bring my mash tun liquid level up to (or down to) the level I want to sparge at. This is normally around 2-3 inches above the grain bed. Sometimes I have to add water to get there, sometimes I drain a little. Then I add sparge water while draining for the remainder of the sparge. It really is super easy, just drain liquid out and add liquor on top. KISS

What liquor do I add to the top?

Also, will I get better efficiencies using a fly vs a batch?

Very debatable. Technically, higher efficiency is possible with fly, but in practice it is a wash depending on the technique and application of either method.

If you do a search for "fly batch" you could read about the debate for days...... literally.

It really depends on your MLT design and what the separation medium you have installed at the bottom. There are a LOT of ways to increase efficiency but I wouldn't suggesting switching between the two big methods as the first step.

If you have a stainless braid in your MLT, your efficiency might actually go down.

Back