Broken Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior627

Reaction score
Last night i went into my brewing closet to pull some bottles for Christmas party and found that half my case of Pumpkin Beer were shattered. what could of happened to cause only half of them to explode. I never even heard them pop.
Very upset to say the least.

Sorry to hear. Sounds like your beer was still in active fermentation. How much time passed from when you brewed to bottled?

I'd guess either the beer wasn't done fermenting or you didn't stir the bottling sugar enough. You could have some sort of infection also.

i left it in primary for 4 weeks. the bottles i have opened tasted great with good carbonation.

There are so many different things it could have been. Are the bottles that didn't break over carbed? If they aren't ,I'd guess you didn't stir the bottling sugar enough. If they are. Either you have an infection or it wasn't done fermenting. Is there any chance you added to much bottling sugar?

Go extra safe on the remaining bottles, your don't want one going of in your hand !
A pair of gloves and do it in the sink wearing waterproof trousers.

Some of t he remaining bottles i opened over the weekend were overcarbed but tasted fine once foam went down. i am guessing i need to make sure i mix sugar better next time. Or just stick to kegging.

Back