The color Red.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
I'll be back in the brewing business in a couple of weeks. My next beer is going to be a red wheat beer. Probably more of an American wheat style, with moderate hopping.

The base will be the lightest wheat DME I can find (Probably 5-6lbs). I'm looking for advice on what types of specialty malts and what proportion to use to make a decent red colored beer.

Thanks.

Typical grains for making red are caramel 80L, biscuit and victory, but any one of these in a large enough quantity to give a pronounced red to the ale, will dominate the flavor.

Thanks David. I'm not too worried about the flavor domination, from my experience with wheat beers, the wheat extract has a unique smoothness that makes for a really drinkable beer, and I'll probably hop it up a bit.

I'm still knocking around the exact recipe. Would you recommend a particular amount of one of the grains you listed, or mix them to get a good red color??

Here is my rough recipe, not too sure about the hops yet. I probably should stick to something more conventional, but my from scratch pale ale turned out so well that I feel confident experimenting a bit. If anyone has an opinion, or advice please share, and don't be afraid to be critical. I am still learning and I can take the pain.

Wildfire Wheat
Specialty, Experimental, Historical Beer

Type: Extract
Date: 7/16/2007
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: McKBrew
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 55.2 %
2.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 27.6 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 13.8 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.4 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (60 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
0.50 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
1 Pkgs American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP320) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Wheat
Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 31.1 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 17.1 SRM Color: Color

I'm no recipe expert, but I'd be concerned that the chocolate malt would make it too toasty for a wheat.
Maybe add a darker crystal and some carared?

I think that Jamil has said that he takes an ounce or so of dehusked carafa puts it in a coffee grinder and grinds it to almost a flour and mixes it into what would otherwise be a light colored mash. I know you are using extract but I'm sure you could figure a way to incorporate this method.

He says it gives a great red color without adding any roasty notes because it is dehusked.

good luck.

When I was trying to equate this beer to a particular style, I was looking at a Dunkelweizen, but my hop bitterness is a little high. The roast flavor is fine with me, I had even debated making a chocolate wheat beer, but decided to save that one for a later day.

you could use like 1-2 oz of black patent or black roasted barley to get red color with little impact on flavor

Thanks for all the advice. I'm waiting for my desktop to get here so I can mess around with it some more in BTP. I'm using the trial version of Brewsmith and it's set to expire. I'll let you all know how it goes in the end.

Latest posts

Back