Temp control issue for baltic porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gofastr1

Reaction score
I know I prolly need to RAHAHB.... but I'm travelling and have none handy. I've got a baltic porter at home that had an OG of 1.088, into which I pitched a healthy starter of bohemian pilsner 8 days ago at ~ 56F. I brought temp down to 53F in a day, fermentation seemed to be ticking away steadily, and over days 5-6 days temps came down to ~50F and everything was going well.

Left on a trip, and today (day 8) called the wifey to ask her to check temp, and fermometer had risen to 62F; somehow the power strip got turned off to my refer after I'd left home... Patient wife turned power to refer back on, so temp will start heading back to 50. She said airlocks (well, OK, she didn't actually call them airlocks, but rather "bubble thingies") were bubbling every 3 seconds or so - just a little faster than they'd been at 50F

Now what? I'd planned to do a D-rest at ~65F, once beer reached ~75% of target attenuation anyway, so just proceed as planned and taste to determine how long to rest? Of course I didn't ask wifey to measure gravity with the "bobber thingie", so I don't know how far along this beer is, but I was guessing it'd take ~ 2-3 weeks to hit 75% attenuation at 50F.

Anyone out there who can hold my hand 'till I get home in 4 days?

So a few dozen lookers, but i've got a cold hand... here's an update for those interested.

Trip ended a little early - got back on day 11 in primary. Temps back at 50F. SG measured 1.030 (a bit past my d-rest target), and I didn't detect any of the butterscotch/butter I've read is characteristic of diacetyl in the gravity sample; tasted smooth, maybe slightly slick, but not oily. Though the accidental warmup may have sufficed as my rest (even if a little premature), I decided to pull it out for a day or two rest at ~ 62, as I've heard some people cannot taste diacetyl even if it is really there, and/or it may not be as evident prior to lagerign as after. I think I also read that an unneccessary rest won't hurt.

I'll keep ya posted; I find these accounts of whoopses really helpful to me, since I tend to make a few. Fortunately I'm always reminded of how forgiving those yeasties can be!

Back