How Do You Hop A 60 Minute IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhern053

Reaction score
I've got the recipe, it's all over the internet and straight from Calagione's recipe book. But how do you continuously hop it? I've seen some people mixing the Simcoe and Palisade and hopping those together for the last 35 minutes, but that's not how Sam wrote it in the book.

How would a homebrewer continuously hop a 60 minute clone? One pellet at a time? How many pellets are in a 1 ounce bag?

HELP! I wanna brew it this weekend. Thanks guys and gals.

Ive heaard of people adding all the hops in 5-7 min increments. So what I would do is convert the onces to grams and then divide the total by 12 or 8 to figure out how many grams per addition.

Since I'm close to the brewpot anyway, I just chuck in a pellet or two pretty constantly. If I miss a minute or two, it's no big deal of course. I just try to end up with the last couple of pellets going in at flame out, starting at 30 minutes and sort of toss them in every minute or two.

Ive heaard of people adding all the hops in 5-7 min increments. So what I would do is convert the onces to grams and then divide the total by 12 or 8 to figure out how many grams per addition.

this is how i would do it. good luck

Since I'm close to the brewpot anyway, I just chuck in a pellet or two pretty constantly. If I miss a minute or two, it's no big deal of course. I just try to end up with the last couple of pellets going in at flame out, starting at 30 minutes and sort of toss them in every minute or two.

Oh man, that sounds like some work!! How do you find time for drinkin!?

I'd definitely recommend breaking it down into 5-10min increments. I did a barleywine once that had 8g of hops added every 5min for the last 30 min of the boil. It was hectic. Definitely measure everything out beforehand so you don't have to remember to weigh it every time.

Oh man, that sounds like some work!! How do you find time for drinkin!?

I'd definitely recommend breaking it down into 5-10min increments. I did a barleywine once that had 8g of hops added every 5min for the last 30 min of the boil. It was hectic. Definitely measure everything out beforehand so you don't have to remember to weigh it every time.

Well, I've got a beer in one hand, my laptop in front of me and the hops on the counter. I'm there anyway, so why not drop the hops in? I don't understand why it'd be hard. Definitely easier than trying to equally add the hops every 5 minutes! Just a pellet or two, take a sip of beer, another pellet, etc, until they're gone. It's not like I'm doing my nails or something, so why not toss in a hop or two or five? :D

Awesome. Do you feel like you do a good job of equally adding them? I'd be too afraid I'd front-load it and not have enough late hops.

Awesome. Do you feel like you do a good job of equally adding them? I'd be too afraid I'd front-load it and not have enough late hops.

Well, I "lean" towards late anyway. You can sort of eyeball it- you want about half the hops gone when about half the time is over. If you're over, slow down and save more for the end. If you're under, add more (which is more late hops anyway!). It's a win/win.

I"ve done that recipe probably 40-50 times, so it's pretty routine to me. And honestly, I can't tell the difference in the beers that I've made and I'm sure the hopping isn't exactly the same due to some timing differences. But I sure can't tell the difference anyway. I've been very happy with it.

Back