Dry Hopping with Pellet Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering is anyone here uses Pellet Hops to Dry Hop. I have an ounce of Centennial that is in Pellet form and is bound for Dry Hopping. But I am worried about a Cloudy Haze from the Pellets. I was going to put the Hops in a Cheesecloth Bag, but I just don't see that keeping the Haviness contained. Anyone here that uses Pellets for Dry Hopping?

Only reason I am stressing so much about the haze is because I am 99% convinced that I am going to try Crash Cooling with this Batch, and I am looking for a really Clear Beer. If Plugs get me closer to that, I'll just buy an ounce of Plugs and use these Pellets in another Batch.

I dry hop with pellets and have never had a problem with them. I have used a hop bag and I have not used a hop bag without any difference. The hops will drop out and you rack off them along with the rest of the trub.

RLinNH said:
Just wondering is anyone here uses Pellet Hops to Dry Hop. I have an ounce of Centennial that is in Pellet form and is bound for Dry Hopping. But I am worried about a Cloudy Haze from the Pellets. I was going to put the Hops in a Cheesecloth Bag, but I just don't see that keeping the Haviness contained. Anyone here that uses Pellets for Dry Hopping?

Only reason I am stressing so much about the haze is because I am 99% convinced that I am going to try Crash Cooling with this Batch, and I am looking for a really Clear Beer. If Plugs get me closer to that, I'll just buy an ounce of Plugs and use these Pellets in another Batch.

I use pellets 8 outta 10 times for dryhopping...

If they don't drop, there is a way to leave them behind when you rack:

1 gallon paint strainer wrapped around the end of your racking cane (intake). Use a small zip tie to secure.

Hopstopper_1.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

Thanks for the replies. So, pellets it is. I like the Paint Strainer on the racking cane Muncher. Looks like the route I'll be taking when I do bottle in about 4-5 weeks.

I used to put a muslin bag on the inlet end of the siphon but a couple of times lately it blocked the siphon. I tie the bag on the outlet side now.

Biermuncher I hope that's cheap whisky in the starter airlock. It kind of looks like ...

eviljafar said:
I used to put a muslin bag on the inlet end of the siphon but a couple of times lately it blocked the siphon. I tie the bag on the outlet side now.

Biermuncher I hope that's cheap whisky in the starter airlock. It kind of looks like ...

I've been thinking of doing this...I racked a ton of stuff into my bottling bucket on my first batch and was thinking about ways to minimize it (better whirlpool for one) and thought that the outlet might make a bit more sense.

Doesn't clog on you?

gwood said:
I've been thinking of doing this...I racked a ton of stuff into my bottling bucket on my first batch and was thinking about ways to minimize it (better whirlpool for one) and thought that the outlet might make a bit more sense.

Doesn't clog on you?

You don't want to whirlpool when you rack to the bottling bucket. You want to transfer it without any splashing at all, because you don't want to aerate it.

I tried the paint strainer but I thought it was just much easier to rack above the pellet sludge. It did clog for me, so I took it off. With the black tip on the autosiphon, I didn't get any stuff through.

I recently dry hopped a pale ale using pellets and crash cool method. The beer came out of the carboy crystal clear; I wish I would have taken a picture. If you will feel better using the paint strainer, by all means use it, but I didnt need it at all. A couple days in the chill chest and it was completely clear.

Pellets work just fine for dry hopping. After a few days, give your secondary a gentle rocking every morning. Those pellet bits will fall out a little better that way.

TL

Back